Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Crystal Palace U23s 0 Burnley U23s 1

Late Mitch George winner keeps Premier League Cup hopes

6 February 2020

A dramatic late winner at Crystal Palace kept the Clarets' Premier League Cup hopes alive.

The 82nd minute strike from Mitch George means the Clarets can still qualify into the knockout stages, although Andy Farrell’s side would need to beat Group G leaders, Blackburn Rovers, later this month and need Middlesbrough to lose their last two fixtures.

It was a young Burnley side that faced Palace on Thursday afternoon, at Champion Hill, with eight youth team scholars starting the game.

That number grew to nine within 20 minutes, with Rhys Fenlon replacing the injured Chris Conn-Clarke.

There was also an U23s debut for midfielder and first-year scholar, Dylan Moonan, who replaced Mace Goodridge in the centre, with four changes from the side that beat Bolton Wanderers 2-0 on Monday evening.

In a game of precious few chances, the the only first half effort on target came from Max Thompson just five minutes before the break, who fired straight at Webber from just outside the area.

Thompson action.jpg

However, Andy Farrell’s side came out bright in the second half and came close through Thompson once again.

This time, the young striker picked up the ball just inside the area, before striking an effort straight at Webber, who once again stood tall between the Palace sticks.

Just a few minutes later, the visitors had another opportunity, as the lively Ne-Jai Tucker worked his down the left, before teeing up Moonan, who lofted the ball just over the bar from 20 yards out.

And Tucker came close himself on the hour mark, after weaving into the area and curling the ball just wide of the post, as the away side pushed for the goal they needed to keep their cup hopes alive.

Tucker action.jpg

Farrell’s side, who had dominated, then came close through Bobby Thomas, after the towering defender crashed a header just over the bar.

But The Clarets’ pressure finally paid off with just eight minutes to go.

Pruti rose highest from a corner to glance a header into the path of George, who turned the ball home past Webber to break the deadlock.

George goal.jpg

And despite late pressure from the hosts, Farrell’s side held on and got a deserved three points at Dulwich Hamlet’s Champion Hill Stadium.

The Clarets now face Blackburn Rovers at Morecambe’s Globe Arena on 20th February, with a victory once again needed.

BURNLEY: Jensen, Patterson, Pruti, Thomas, Rain, Conn-Clarke (Fenlon 20), Moonan, Woods, Tucker, George (Senior 90), Thompson.

Subs: McMahon, Rooney.

Advertisement block