Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Charlton Athletic U23s 2 Burnley U23s 3

Ali Koiki double and Mitch George winner secures Clarets' first win of the season

9 September 2019

Steve Stone’s side secured their first win of the season with a 3-2 win over Charlton Athletic as midfielder Mace Goodridge returned to action after 11 months on the sidelines.

Burnley took the lead through Ali Koiki with 13 minutes played, before goals from Josh Davison and Johl Powell gave the hosts the lead at the break.

However, Koiki pulled the scores level just before the hour mark with his third goal of the season, before U18 striker Mitch George snatched the winner in the 67th minute.

The Clarets started on the front foot at Dartford’s Princes Park Stadium and came close with just three minutes played, as Joe McGlynn pressed Addicks defender Sam Keefe to force his clearance into the feet of Rob Harker, whose close-range strike was blocked just in front of the line.

However, Stone’s side did take the lead 10 minutes later, as Christian N’Guessan teed up Koiki just inside the box, for a neat step-over and smart finish into the bottom corner.

Koiki goal.jpg

Charlton equalised just moments later, as Keefe’s header rattled off the bar from a corner and into the path of striker Davison, who nodded home from a couple of yards out.

And as the rain began to fall in Kent, the hosts nearly had a second, as Ben Dempsey forced Kai Calderbank-Park into a smart save with his feet.

Just seven minutes later though the Addicks took the lead, as Powell rifled home past Calderbank-Park with a sweet finish into the far corner.

Despite Stone’s side trailing at the break, it was the visitors who came out raring to go in the second half and, after plenty of possession, they had their equaliser.

A cross from the left fell perfectly for Koiki, who glanced in a diving header past the stranded Nathan Harness in the Charlton goal.

Koiki header goal.jpg

The home side then came close to regaining the lead minutes later, as substitute Abraham Odoh was unmarked inside the box, before firing just over the bar.

But it was the visitors who struck to regain the lead for the second time, as the ball fell to 17-year-old George, who rifled a fierce volley past Harness.

And just 10 minutes later, midfielder Goodridge made his long-waited return from injury, replacing McGlynn for the last 12 minutes to cap a fine day for the Clarets, who remain unbeaten in the Professional Development League.

BURNLEY: Calderbank-Park, Cooney (Cropper HT), Thomas, Wilson, Glennon, Tucker (George 58), Phillips, N’Guessan, Koiki, Harker, McGlynn (Goodridge 78).

Not used: Steels, Woods.

Advertisement block