Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley U23s 1 Leicester City U23s 0

Superb Agyei strike takes Clarets into last eight of PL Cup

15 March 2019

Trophy talisman Dan Agyei did it again as the Clarets out-foxed Leicester City to reach the quarter-finals of the Premier League Cup.

It was Agyei’s winner against West Bromwich Albion in their final group game that saw Burnley clinch a place in the knock-out stages.

And the striker repeated the trick with the only goal – a second-half stunner – as Steve Stone’s side held firm to keep their remarkable run going.

Since losing 7-1 at Bournemouth in their opening game in the competition, the Clarets haven’t looked back.

And like Liverpool and West Brom before them, Leicester were another Category One side who couldn’t find a way through as Adam Legzdins and his no-nonsense defenders chalked up another clean sheet.

Less than 48 hours after losing on penalties to Bayern Munich in a mid-week Premier League International Cup tie, Leicester arrived at the Barnfield Training Centre looking to repeat last season’s run to the semi-finals of the PL Cup.

They started like they meant business, but Burnley soaked up some early pressure and then deservedly went on to win the tie thanks to Agyei’s 67th minute strike – his 22nd goal of the season at Under-23 level.

Legzdins was forced into the first save to keep out a flicked effort from the dangerous Layton Ndukwu and big striker Ryan Loft also shot wide for the visitors.

Stone was then forced to replace the injured Olly Younger with Scott Wilson in the centre of the Clarets’ back four and Burnley’s back line was barely breached again as Wilson played his part in a superb defensive display.

And the best chances came the Clarets’ way as they finished the first half strongly, Rob Harker being denied by Leicester keeper Max Bramley after being played in by Agyei, who then sent a flicked header against the crossbar from a Tunde Bayode cross.

Bobby Thomas also went close from back-to-back corners, but it was backs-to-the-wall stuff again for a spell at the start of the second half.

Wilson cleared from in front of goal from Tyrese Shade and then five minutes later the Clarets struck at the other end to book their passage through.

Agyei came alive as he picked up the ball outside the corner of the Leicester penalty area before bursting past three players and working his ball onto his left foot for a precision strike into the far corner.

It was a worthy winner and the Clarets twice went close to adding to their lead through a Thomas shot blocked on the line by Luke Thomas and an effort by substitute Marley Blair which was saved by Bramley.

But one goal was enough as Legzdins produced a vital save to thwart Loft as he went through one-one-one and with Stone’s side now beaten just once in 10 games in all competitons, they remain in the hunt for a possible league and cup double.

Burnley: Legzdins, Cropper, Glennon, Howarth, Thomas, Younger (Wilson 25), Bayode, N'Guessan, Harker (Richardson 66), Agyei, Chakwana (Blair 53). Subs: Stone, Clarke.

Leicester: Bramley, Elewa-Ipakwu, Thomas, Dewsbury-Hall, Hughes, Pascanu (Sherriff 71), Wright, Leshabela, Loft, Ndukwu, Shade. Subs: Kranthove, Johansson.

Referee: Richard Aspinall

Advertisement block