Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City U23s 0 Burnley U23s 3

Dan Agyei at the double as Clarets extend winning run

15 February 2019

Dan Agyei was back with a bang as his second-half double helped the Clarets keep their play-off push in top gear.

Agyei returned to the starting line-up and spearheaded a third successive league win as Steve Stone’s side tightened their grip on second place in the Professional Development League’s northern section.

And again, it was a power-packed second-half performance that delivered the goods.

As at Bolton on Monday night, Burnley saved their best until last, striking three times after the break.

The impressive Agyei, who came off the bench to score one of the four second-half goals that beat Bolton last time out, led the way with two more clinical strikes as bottom club Hull were brushed aside.

The scoreline was harsh on the Tigers, who have now gone nine games without a win.

But the difference in finishing power was ruthlessly display by Agyei and substitute Rob Harker, whose fine-last minute strike rounded off another successful night for a Burnley side now unbeaten in five games and just a point behind table-topping Leeds United.

Both sides had chances before the break, although the Clarets will feel most aggrieved that they didn’t lead.

Hull had the first opportunity with Callum Smith breaking clear and making space for a shot Aidan Stone blocked with his legs.

The Clarets’ keeper also had to make a flying save to keep out a long-range effort from Keane Lewis-Potter, while City winger Julien Lamy put an overhead kick just wide of a post.

But the best two openings came Burnley’s way, as well as less obvious heading chances for Agyei and Michael Fowler as the visitors delivered a succession of dangerous balls from out wide early on.

Fowler saw a far-post effort grabbed by Harvey Cartwright but then should have hit the target with angled effort when left with just the Tigers’ keeper to beat.

And Cartwright was also let off the hook when Tinashe Chakwana didn’t get enough on an effort to really trouble the keeper after Agyei, who earlier flicked a header into the side netting, had perfectly picked him out at the end of a typically thrusting run.

Agyei’s pace and power was too much for Hull to handle for much of the time, but the Clarets’ striker wasn’t given much to work with early in the second half as the visitors struggled to get their passing game going.

But after Hull had enjoyed their best spell of the contest and threatened to go in front, Agyei burst back into life to belatedly set the Clarets on their way with 70 miniutes gone.

Stone had just saved a free header from Lewis Ritson and spread himself to deny Lamy when Agyei pounced at the other end to get the goal he had promised all night.

Allowed to run through the Hull defence, Agyei showed the poise to slot the ball past Cartwright with the minimum of fuss.

At 1-0 the game was still in the balance but two vital contributions from Harker swung it irreversibly Burnley’s way.

First, the substitute blocked the ball on his own line to keep out a header from Danny Lupano.

And then his flicked header released Agyei to get in again and fire a shot into the roof of the net with five minutes to go.

That as good as secured the points but there was still time for a third goal as Stone’s men finished with a flourish.

And it was Harker who capped off his productive evening with a superb strike into the bottom corner from just outside the penalty area to keep the Clarets rolling on.

Hull City: Cartwright, Hesson, Fleming, Batty, Lupano, Ritson, Smith, Sheaf, Lewis-Potter, Chadwick (Holmes 66), Lamy (Powell 80). Substitutes: Robson, Salam, Powell, Greaves.

Burnley: Stone, Cropper, Thomas, Wilson, Glennon, Bayode, Benson, N’Guessan, Chakwana Agyei, Fowler (Harker 52). Substitutes: Calderbank-Park, Perkins, Clarke, Cook.

Referee: Elliott Swallow.

Advertisement block