Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: AFC Bournemouth 1 Burnley 3

Superb performance brings three vital points in push for Premier League safety

6 April 2019

With impeccable timing, the Clarets produced one of their best away-days of the season to move eight points clear of the relegation places.

Goals from the deadly duo of Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes – either side of a first goal from open play for the Clarets from Ashley Westwood – saw Burnley come from behind to secure a fourth win on the road this season.

Sean Dyche’s side also became the first Burnley team to complete the double over the Cherries since the 1999/2000 season.

But more importantly, they made it back-to-back victories to climb to 14th place in the table and put themselves within touching distance of Premier League safety.

Eddie Howe’s side had been beaten just four times at the Vitality Stadium this season and not lost at home to any side outside the top six.

But Bournemouth had no answer to a Burnley performance which over-powered them in every area with two goals in three first-half minutes setting up the fightback fittingly capped in the second half by Barnes – who scored at both ends and typified the desire not to finish on the losing side.

It wasn’t a great start from the Clarets as Bournemouth, without a home win since January, went ahead inside the opening five minutes.

A free-kick from Ryan Fraser was flicked into the danger area by Jefferson Lerma and as Barnes went to challenge Nathan Ake, it was the Burnley striker who headed into his own net.

The Clarets’ response couldn’t have been better, however, as they quickly turned things around, despite appeals for a penalty when Ben Mee – a tower of strength on the 300th appearance of his club career – fell on deaf ears after he was pushed in the back from a Dwight McNeil corner.

McNeil was a constant threat down the left flank in front of Charlie Taylor and when Taylor forced a corner, Westwood’s in-swinging delivery cut out goalkeeper Asmir Begovic for Wood to head in at the far post to repeat the goal he scored here last term and make it 11 for the season.

And within two minutes Burnley - with Matt Lowton making his 100th league start for the club in place of the injured Phil Bardsley - were ahead to leave the Cherries shell-shocked.

Again McNeil was involved, his low cross drawing a poor clearance from Chris Mepham who presented a shooting chance for Westwood the midfielder gratefully accepted with a confident side-footed finish to cap a magnificent individual performance.

Burnley were the better side as they rattled the hosts with some slick football, although Callum Wilson missed a great chance to level when he headed a cross from the dangerous David Brooks over the bar.

The bigger threat continued to come from the Clarets, though, as they continued to unsettle a Bournemouth side that looked a bag of nerves on the back of a run that has brought them just five league wins since October.

And 11 minutes into the second half Dyche’s men increased their lead following an error from Begovic.

Great persistence from Taylor saw the full-back swing over a cross which the keeper fumbled under pressure from Wood, who had the coolness to pounce on the loose ball and pick out strike partner Barnes to thump home a side-foot finish to move into double figures in the Premier League for the first time.

With a two-goal cushion and the Clarets back four refusing to give an inch the outcome was never in doubt.

And Wilson’s missed chance in injury time ensured none of the gloss was removed from an outstanding display which emphatically underlined the Clarets’ top-flight credentials.  

Bournemouth: Begovic; Clyne (Rico HT), Ake, Mepham, Smith; Brooks, Lerma (Stanislas 70), Gosling (Solanke 59), Fraser; King, Wilson. Substitutes: Boruc, Mousset, Ibe, Simpson.

Booked: Clyne, Smith

Burnley: Heaton; Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Taylor; Hendrick (Gudmundsson 82), Westwood, Cork, McNeil; Wood, Barnes. Substitutes: Hart, Brady, Gibson, Ward, Vydra, Long.

Booked: Hendrick, Barnes, Mee

Referee: Martin Atkinson

Attendance: 10,446

Advertisement block