Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Charlton U23s 3 Burnley U23s 0

Clarets fall to defeat in final league fixture of the season against Charlton

16 April 2019

Steve Stone’s U23 side fell to a 3-0 defeat at the Valley against Charlton Athletic in their final league fixture of the season, which dented any hope of securing a late play-off spot.

It was a Charlton side that included first team players Lewis Page, former Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Jake Forster-Caskey and ex-Preston North End goalkeeper Chris Maxwell.

The Clarets on the other hand, fielded a young team, giving first year scholar Chris Conn-Clarke his first competitive start at this level, while 17-year-old Vinnie Steels featured from the bench in the second-half and central defender Bobby Thomas started once again.

An Alfie Doughty brace and a goal from Abraham Odoh were enough for the South London side to take all three points on a sunny afternoon in the capital.

Burnley started bright and came close early on, as Anthony Glennon picked out Rob Harker with a delightful through ball down the left, before the striker then teed up Conn-Clarke inside the area, whose strike towards goal was denied by Maxwell.

However, moments later the Addicks took the lead through Doughty, as the winger latched onto Forster-Caskey’s long ball up-field, before firing home into the top corner past Aiden Stone.

And the hosts could have had a second shortly after, as Wassim Aouachria rifled the ball straight at Stone from inside the box.

The Clarets, needing a win to take the play-off race down to the wire, then had a life line, as Daniel Agyei was brought down inside the area, resulting in the referee awarding a spot-kick to the visitors.

Agyei brushed himself off and stepped up to take the penalty, however, the striker’s effort crashed off the bar before being cleared from danger.

The home side headed into the break with the advantage and came out raring to go again early on in the second-half.

A great sliding block from Thomas denied Albie Morgan an effort on goal, while Stone pulled off a great save to deny Page firing in a second of the afternoon.

The London side did then double their advantage on the hour mark, as Odoh curled in a wonderful effort past a stranded Stone.

And the damage was done just five minutes before full time, as Doughty slammed home his second of the match.

Despite the away side’s best efforts at clawing themselves back into the game, the hosts held on to ensure that the Clarets missed out on a potential second placed finish in the U23 Northern Division Professional Development League.

Stone's side - which will now finish fourth in the table as Birmingham and Crewe battle it out for second spot - will play their final game of the season on May 7th against Blackburn Rovers in the final of the Lancashire Senior Cup.

Burnley: Stone, Cropper, Thomas, Glennon, Howarth, Wilson, Trialist, Bayode, Conn-Clarke (Steels 56), Agyei, Harker. Subs: Calderbank-Park, Chakwana, Perkins.

Charlton: Maxwell, Yao, Page, Morgan, Mingi, Vega, Odoh, Forster-Caskey, Kalinauskas, Aouachria, Doughty

Advertisement block