Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 4 Bournemouth 0

Biggest Premier League win lifts the Clarets off the bottom in style

22 September 2018

Rampant Burnley stopped the rot in style with a biggest ever Premier League win on a big afternoon of firsts at a jubilant Turf Moor.

Matej Vydra scored on his first start for the club and Aaron Lennon for the first time in a Burnley shirt to set up the Clarets’ first league win of the season.

Super-sub Ashley Barnes then came off the bench to add two late goals  his first in the league this season as Sean Dyche’s men roared off the foot of the table and out of the bottom three.

And it was no more than the Clarets deserved as they emphatically ended a run of four straight defeats and avoided a bit of unwanted history.

The Clarets had never lost five successive Premier League games before – one first they wanted to avoid.

And they did in defiant fashion, passing a test of character with flying colours and winning by a four-goal margin for the first time in the Premier League era.

Dyche’s reaction to defeat at Wolves last weekend and a sluggish start to the season was to make three changes to the Clarets’ line-up, including Vydra’s first start following his August signing from Derby County.

Matt Lowton and Ashley Westwood were also back and after a few home truths during the week, Burnley were back to their best.

There was a rediscovered energy from the off in an up-beat start that immediately lifted the mood around Turf Moor.

And while there was a wait for the opening goal, the timing of two in two minutes just before the break could hardly have been better.

Bournemouth, enjoying their best start to this stage of a Premier League season, had begun to carry a threat on the break, although the nearest they had come to taking the lead had been a shot from defender Nathan Ake which spun off Ben Mee’s block and onto the crossbar.

But the visitors were then rocked by Burnley’s double blast as the Clarets’ positive approach paid off.

The impressive Westwood twice saw efforts blocked after Sam Vokes had nodded down a Jack Cork cross.

But from Ake’s second intervention the ball bounced up for Vydra to show his predatory instincts with a neat volleyed finish from six yards out to claim his first Premier League goal since April, 2014 and a loan spell at West Bromwich Albion.

And things quickly got even better when Lennon got in on the act to make it 2-0 four minutes before half-time.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson was the architect with a delightful cross from the opposite flank and Lennon’s anticipation and determination paid off as he ran in behind Vokes to slide in and steer the ball inside the far post with an assured first touch.

Former Burnley boss Eddie Howe teaked the visitors’ formation at the start of the second half in a switch to a three-man back line and the deployment of wing-backs.

But it was the Clarets who continued to create the chances, former Bournemouth striker Vokes reacting quickest to put a low effort just wide on the turn from Lowton’s low cross.

Gudmundsson then cleverly created the space to shoot at Asmir Begovic before the Icelander showed his class again with a run and cross which saw Chris Wood – who had replaced the tiring Vydra – glance a header just over the top with his first touch.

The Cherries had been kept largely at arm’s length as the Clarets looked for a first clean sheet since the opening day of the season but with just over an hour gone Joe Hart was needed for the first time to protect the lead.

And with England boss Gareth Southgate watching on he produced a fine block to keep out an effort from David Brooks, whose switch to a more central position gave the visitors an added attacking threat.

Showing the kind of determination and desire not to concede that had been a hallmark of last season’s success, the Clarets withstood a spell of Bournemouth pressure.

And two goals from Barnes in the final six minutes then guaranteed the points in up-lifting style as the Clarets ensured a first league win since April.

Lennon and Gudmundsson were again both involved with Lennon – in one of his best performances as a Burnley player – teeing up Gudmundsson for a shot which was deflected onto a post and back out again to Barnes to gleefully tapped in.

And the substitute then struck again to put the seal on a memorable afternoon when Lennon capped a Westwood-led break-away and pulled the ball back for Barnes to finish immaculately with a low side-footed strike into the bottom corner to complete his first Premier League double and an historic victory.

Burnley: Hart, Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Taylor, Lennon, Westwood, Cork, Gudmundsson, Vydra (Wood 60), Vokes (Barnes 68). Substitutes: Heaton, Hendrick, Bardsley, Long, McNeil.

Booked:  Lowton, Westwood

Bournemouth: Begovic, Smith (Defoe 78), Steve Cook, Ake, Rico (Francis HT), Brooks, Surman, Lerma, Fraser, King, Wilson (Stanislas 68). Substitutes: Boruc, Ibe, Lewis Cook, Defoe, Mings.

Booked: None

Referee: Anthony Taylor

Attendance: 18,636

Advertisement block