Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley U23s 1 Hull City U23s 2

Clarets rue missed chances as Tigers escape with the points

15 March 2018

Michael Duff rued a handful of missed chances as the Clarets continued their recent improvement but ended up empty-handed as two second-half headers from Tom Powell headers gave Hull City victory.

Burnley cancelled out the first with an equaliser from Ntumba Massanka (above) but despite dominating for long spells couldn’t find a second goal as Powell struck again 20 minutes from time as Hull made the most of their second bite at the cherry.

Clarets boss Duff said: “We were the better team. We conceded from two poor set-plays which is difficult when you’ve got three trialists in the team because you’ve got a new set of players.

“You can half understand that, but I thought there were some good performances.

“We missed a hatful of chances. As I told them, both boxes win and lose you games.

“We could have played a little more in the second half and passed it a little bit better.

“But if you look at that and say we had six under-18s in the team and three trialists we were more than happy with that. Of course, you want to win the game, but there were a lot more positives than negatives.”

The Clarets dominated the first half and should have led at the break as they looked to record back-to-back wins in the U23 Development League for the first time this season.

Duff’s side had been 1-0 up when the original game was abandoned due to fog after half an hour last November.

But despite a number of chances they couldn’t break the deadlock this time around.

With trialist Everton winger Stephen Duke McKenna a constant threat, the Tigers – who included first-team defender Moses Odubajo (below) on his return from long-term injury – were on the back foot as Burnley pressed and move the ball slickly.

But Dwight McNeil was just off target with an early effort, Massanka was denied by a smart Callum Burton save following a sharp turn and shot and Olly Younger headed wide from a McNeil free-kick when the defender should have hit the target.

The mid-table Tigers had jut one effort on target before half-time, Conor Mitchell gathering a volley from Billy Chadwick.

But they started the second half in positive fashion and were rewarded when Powell headed home a 56th-minute corner.

The Clarets responded with another McNeil effort that went just wide but deservedly levelled with 63 minutes gone when impressive on-trial Arsenal midfielder Josh Benson crossed low for Massanka to steer the ball home.

McNeil was then denied by a combination of Burton’s fine stop and the post as he met Tinashe Chakwana’s cross with a first-time effort.

But the Tigers pounced again from a rare sight of goal to go back in front when Powell nodded home his second of the game.

Back came Burnley again but despite piling on the pressure they couldn’t force an equaliser as Christian N’Guessan saw an effort cleared off the line and Massana just failed to get a touch from Chakwana’s low cross as Hull hung on to claim the points.

Burnley: Mitchell, Clarke, Barrett, Younger, Koiki, N’Guessan, Bayode (Chakwana 53), McNeil, Benson (Whyte 80), McKenna (Kroma 81), Massanka. Substitutes: Stone, Wilson.

Hull City: Burton, Odubajo (Yates ht), Clackstone, Batty, Ritson, Curry, Luer (Holmes 83), Sheaf (Olley 68), Powell, Chadwick, Edwards. Substitutes: Saltmer.

Referee: Dean Watson


Advertisement block