Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Cork City 0 Burnley 1

Jimmy Dunne scores first senior goal to give the Clarets opening pre-season win

13 July 2018

Jimmy Dunne made it a landmark return home by scoring his first senior goal to give the Clarets victory in their opening pre-season friendly.

The young Irishman struck from close range 20 minutes from time as Burnley got their campaign up-and-running in efficient style at Turner’s Cross.

In an exercise more about continuing to build on fitness at the end of a five-day training camp in County Cork, boss Sean Dyche was able to give 45 minutes game time to most of his travelling party.

But it was still an important night for Dunne, who has been given his first taste of the first-team environment since returning from a successful loan spell with Accrington Stanley at the end of last season.

The defender - who hails from Dundalk, Cork’s big domestic rivals - has enjoyed a productive week on the training ground and given his senior ‘debut’ took the chance as a second-half substitute to win it for the Clarets on a red-letter night for the 20-year-old.

Like Burnley, Cork dipped into their own squad strength, with the game falling between the two legs of their Champions League first-round qualifying tie against Legia Warsaw.

But the defending League of Ireland champions were still able to field a competitive starting side made up almost exclusively of first-team squad members.

And City – second in the table with 10 games to go as they look to overhaul Dundalk in the title race – made it an honest test before the break.

Tom Heaton was never overly tested as he made his first start since the shoulder injury last September which ultimately cost him a World Cup place.

But he did have to hold one long-range effort from former West Ham youngster Kieran Sadlier, who also fired into the side netting from the hosts’ best chance of the opening half.

Burnley saw most of the ball, with teenager Dwight McNeil catching the eye in a wide position, but couldn’t fashion a clear sight of goal.

Nahki Wells nodded wide a cross from Stephen Ward, one of four Ireland internationals in the Clarets’ ranks to be welcomed by the home crowd.

And Jack Cork also steered a shot just past a post after intercepting a pass and driving forward in typical style from Burnley’s best opening before half-time, which brought widespread changes from Dyche.

Only Aiden O’Neill was sent out again for further duty, switching from central midfield to right-back with Matt Lowton joining Robbie Brady and Steven Defour as the only three senior men – along with World Cup attendees Nick Pope and Johann Berg Gudmundsson – not to figure.

And in a bright start to the second half the Clarets almost went in front on three occasions.

Sam Vokes had scored here in a 3-0 win five years ago and the Wales international poked an effort just wide after Jon Walters had dummied a cross from O’Neill.

And Vokes was closer still as Cork keeper Peter Cherrie was forced into a quick-fire double save.

The former Dundalk man palmed out a powerful header from Vokes following a perfect deep cross from the tidy Ashley Westwood and then kept out a fierce long-range drive from O’Neill.

Cherrie was then replaced by David Coffey and three minutes later the substitute keeper was beaten as Burnley forced their way through to find a winner.

James Tarkowski connected with a Westwood’s corner and it was central defensive partner Dunne who was in the right place to pivot and volley home from just outside the six-yard box to make it a night to remember for the Ireland under-21 international.

Cork City: Cherrie (Coffey 68), Kane, Bennett (Hurley 68), Dunleavy, Barry, Sadlier (Murphy 78), Kavanagh (McFarlane 78), Daly-Butz (Collins 84), O’Hanlon (Campion ht), Coughlan, Phillips. Substitutes: Campion, Murphy, Collins, McFarlane.

Burnley (first half): Heaton, Bardsley, Long, Mee, Ward, McNeil, Cork, O’Neill, Lennon, Wood, Wells.

Burnley (second half): Lindegaard, O’Neill, Tarkowski, Dunne, Taylor, Waltyers, Westwood, Hendrick, Agyei, Barnes (McNeil 82), Vokes.

Referee: David Keeler

Attendance: 1,727

Advertisement block