Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley U23s 2 Crystal Palace U23s 1

Clarets clip Eagles' wings in 2-1 win at Barnfield Training Centre.

28 August 2018

Michael Duff’s development side secured their second win in three games this afternoon, with a 2-1 victory over Crystal Palace.

Dan Agyei opened the scoring with 24 minutes gone, before Olatunde Bayode doubled the Clarets’ lead with 15 minutes to go. A late goal from Palace’s Levi Lumeka was not enough for the away side, as Burnley secured all three points at the Barnfield Training Centre.

Striker Matej Vydra also completed 60 minutes on his road to full-fitness.

The Clarets came close early on, Agyei’s effort from just outside the box was well saved by Joe Tupper in the Palace goal.

Duff’s side then had another chance shortly after, Olatunde Bayode rifled an effort from 25 yards out which rattled the cross-bar.

However, Burnley did break the dead-lock with 24 minutes played. Mace Goodridge broke into the area, before squaring to Agyei who tapped home from close range.

The home side then came close to adding a second, Christian N’Guessan teed up Agyei just outside the box, who blazed an effort just over Tupper’s bar.

Burnley enjoyed much of the ball throughout the first half, Vydra had an opportunity before the break to grab a second for the Clarets. His close-range strike was excellently tipped wide by Tupper to keep the score at 1-0.

Palace’s best chance of the half came just before half-time, TQ Addy poked the ball just wide from Levi Lumeka’s pass.

The hosts were close to a second ten minutes into the second period, Dwight McNeil’s fierce strike from range was tipped just over the bar.

Burnley trio Massanka, Glennon and Harker were introduced on the hour mark and it was Harker who came close for the Clarets minutes after coming on, his towering header at the back post sailed just over the bar.

However, the home side added a second with 15 minutes to go. Bayode headed home at the back post to double the Clarets' lead.

The away side did pull one back with ten minutes to go, Lumeka slammed the ball home from close range following a corner.

Duff was pleased to see his side bounce-back from last week's defeat, although there were similarities to the game at the Ricoh. 

“I thought it was a similar performance to last week to be honest, I thought the first half we were excellent. We should have scored more than one in the first half, we created a lot of chances and played some really good football as well”.

“The shape was really good, the way we moved and passed it was spot on, but then the second half they came out and had a go similar to last week at Coventry, although we were a little bit more resilient this time and we looked to go on and kill the game. That was the pleasing part, that we went onto to get the second goal and see the game out after conceding a poor goal late on” said Duff.

Legzdins, Clarke, Perkins, Cook, Koiki, McNeil (Glennon 60), Goodridge, N’Guessan, Bayode, Agyei (Massanka 60), Vydra (Harker 60).

Unused subs; McMahon, Blair.

Advertisement block