Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Clarets Hit Back To Draw In Turf Moor Work-Out

Several first-teamers figure in 2-2 draw with Sheffield United

17 October 2017

Dean Marney played another 45 minutes and Nahki Wells completed his first game since returning from injury as the Clarets drew 2-2 with Sheffield United in a behind-closed doors work-out at Turf Moor.

Marney built on his comeback in the under-23s at Nottingham Forest last Friday with another beneficial run-out as he works his way back from a nine-month absence following knee surgery.

And Wells stepped up from the hour he played in the Professional Development League game at the City Ground with 90 minutes to step up his match fitness after minor foot surgery during the summer.

There was also useful game-time for defenders Phil Bardsley, Kevin Long and Charlie Taylor as boss Sean Dyche used the fixture to aid some of his first-team squad members currently restricted in their Premier League appearances.

And midfielder Ashley Westwood also played, turning in a typically tidy performance as Burnley came from 2-0 down at the break to secure a draw with goals from Olly Younger and Freddie Ulvestad.

The Blades also fielded several first-team squad men – including former Clarets’ full-back Danny Lafferty – to keep them firing on all cylinders following an impressive start to the season in the Championship.

And they took an early lead when David Brooks lifted the ball past Anders Lindegaard.

Brooks – called up to the Wales squad for their recent World Cup qualifier – also clipped the top of the crossbar from a free-kick and was then involved again as the visitors went 2-0 up.

The attacking midfielder got to the by-line following a free-kick and pulled the ball back for former Leicester City and Wolves defender Richard Stearman to slot home.

Marney had one of two Burnley efforts on goal before the break, Dwight McNeil testing Simon Moore from the other, before the midfielder made way as planned.

And the Clarets then dominated the second half and got one back with 16 minutes to go, teenage centre-back Younger forcing the ball over the line following a corner.

The Blades made a number of changes and with Burnley finishing strongly, the equaliser came in the 88th minute.

Westwood released Wells – who had earlier volleyed wide from one half-chance – and the former Huddersfield Town striker did well to work the space to pick out Ulvestad.

The midfielder followed up his goal at Forest last week with another crisp finish, picking out the bottom corner with a first-time effort from the edge of the penalty area to complete a valuable exercise in front of Dyche and his first-team staff.

Burnley: Lindegaard, Bardsley, Younger, Long, Taylor, Ulvestad, Westwood, Marney (Bayode ht), McNeil, Wells, Trialist (Limb 83).


Advertisement block