Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 1 Newcastle United 0

Jeff Hendrick goal makes it a winning anniversary for boss Sean Dyche

30 October 2017

Sean Dyche was able to celebrate his fifth anniversary as Burnley manager in fitting style as Jeff Hendrick’s second-half winner propelled the Clarets back up the Premier League.

When Dyche took over in October, 2012, Burnley were languishing in 14th-place in the Championship.

Now, thanks to Hendrick’s second goal of the season and Dyche’s enduring qualities the Clarets sit seventh in the top flight.

It wasn’t a classic as Burnley ground out a second home win of the campaign.

But typical of Dyche’s side, they found a way, snuffing out virtually any threat from an in-form Newcastle United and then making it five 1-0 wins at Turf Moor during 2017 when Hendrick smuggled home the winning goal 16 minutes from the end of a landmark night.

Dyche was given a standing ovation at the end as another clean sheet - a third in five games - from a masterly defensive performance means Burnley still boast the third best defensive record at home in the Premier League.

And with one more game to before the international break, the Clarets continue to find themselves in company barely imaginable when Dyche came to town.

With Chris Wood missing with the hamstring injury he sustained at Manchester City – where the Clarets lost for the first time in seven games – birthday boy Ashley Barnes got the nod to start up front.

Jeff Hendrick followed up his winner at Everton with another crucial goal

Dyche also brought back Johann Berg Gudmundsson for a first start in five games in a bid to add an extra cutting edge to the Clarets from a wide position.

And Burnley responded with a high-tempo start in which Hendrick was presented with a chance after just 34 seconds.

James Tarkowski’s downward header from a Nick Pope free-kick got Hendrick in behind the visitors’ defence but from a testing angle, the Ireland international dragged his left-footed effort across the face of goal.

Only once in their last 13 games have Newcastle conceded a first-half goal and that was a record Rafa Benitez’s side was able to enhance as they then kept Burnley at arm’s length.

It was through no lack of effort on the Clarets’ behalf, as Barnes battled away as a willing target man and Robbie Brady and Stephen Ward threatened to make headway down the left flank.

One deflected cross from Brady was headed wide by Barnes but United’s former Accrington Stanley loanee, Rob Elliot, was extended only once in goal before the break when he had to back-pedal to clutch an attempted Brady cross under the bar.

Newcastle, beaten just once in seven games, found it no easier going the other way with Christan Atsu poking an effort over the top the nearest the visitors came to breaking the deadlock.

Former Chelsea winger Atsu was a lively presence but with any attempts from the flanks to find a colleague providing fruitless, Newcastle touched the ball just twice in the Clarets’ penalty area in a stalemate of an opening 45 minutes.

Nick Pope’s one meaningful save had been to hold a shot from Jonjo Shelvey but six minutes into the second half the Clarets’ keeper was tested.

Ayoze Perez made space for a shot with a nice drop of the shoulder on the edge of the penalty area but his attempt to curl an effort into the far corner was thwarted by Pope, who saved well at full stretch.

Burnley responded with an opening for Tarkowski at the other end, but from Brady’s pin-point free-kick the defender’s header was straight at Elliott.

The Clarets continued to find it tough to pierce the visitors’ back line but, to their credit, showed the courage to keep plugging away to try and get their noses in front as Newcastle looked increasingly happy to settle for a point.

Jack Cork looked to keep driving the Clarets forward and after seeing one shot deflected over the bar, was instrumental in finally forcing the breakthrough as Burnley went ahead.

It was Cork who won the ball in midfield and after playing a one-two with Gudmundsson, forced Elliott into an excellent sprawling save.

However, Gudmundsson reacted superbly to deliver the ball back in first-time, and there was Hendrick waiting at the far post to keep his composure admirably and control the ball before guiding a shot into the roof of the net from inside the six-yard box.

Benitez responded with three quick substitutions to try and engineer a fightback, although it was Joselu who went close to taking the gloss off Dyche’s celebrations when he sent a skidding effort just wide with nine minutes to go.

Barnes almost provided breathing space on his 28th-birthday with a low drive parried away by Elliot but Dyche secured the win all Turf Moor wanted when Pope made another fine save from substitute Isaac Hayden in injury time.

Burnley: Pope, Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Ward, Brady, Defour (Westwood 76), Cork, Gudmundsson, Hendrick, Barnes. Subs: Vokes, Wells, Lindegaard, Bardsley, Long, Arfield.

Booked: Gudmundsson, Cork

Newcastle: Elliot, Yedlin, Lascelles, Lejeune, Manquillo, Diame (Gayle 83), Shelvey, Ritchie (Murphy 79), Perez (Hayden 76), Atsu, Joselu. Subs: Clark, Saivet, Darlow, Gamez.

Referee: Mike Dean (Wirral)

Attendance: 21,031 (2,458 Newcastle)

Advertisement block