Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Huddersfield Town 0 Burnley 0

Clarets unbeaten again on the road but denied three points in penalty controversy

30 December 2017

For the second time this season, the two Roses rivals failed to produce a goal as the Clarets were left frustrated by the failure to earn a second-half penalty which would have given them the perfect chance to end a memorable year with a fifth away win.

With an hour gone of a game Burnley largely dominated, Jeff Hendrick was tripped by Jonas Lossl and brought to ground after going around the Huddersfield keeper.

Referee Paul Tierney opted to give nothing - leaving the Clarets still without a penalty in the Premier League this season - and as Nick Pope took his number of clean sheets this season to 10 with yet another shut-out, the Clarets were left with only a share of the spoils and a run of three games without defeat on the road.


Unlike the stalemate at Turf Moor in September, this game was not short of incident as the Clarets created chances either side of the break, with substitute Nahki Wells almost winning it late on against his former club.

And even though Sean Dyche’s men are now four games without a win, the progress they have made since being held by last season’s Championship play-off winners at the first time of asking was again apparent as they now look forward to entertaining Liverpool on New Year’s Day from their loftyy position of seventh in the table.

Not surprisingly after their Boxing Day draw at Manchester United and with James Tarkowski sitting out the final game of his three-match ban, Dyche said ‘same again’ as the Clarets looked to end Huddersfield’s unbeaten three-game run.

With that solid sequence behind them, the Terriers started brightly with Collin Quaner forcing Pope into an early save as the Clarets’ keeper touched a rising drive from the German over the crossbar.

But the Clarets quickly stemmed the momentum and went on to dominate the rest of the opening half.

Attacking the massed ranks of Burnley supporters in the away end, Dyche’s men punched regular holes in the Town defence, with Ashley Barnes again leading the line superbly and Johann Berg Gudmundsson carrying a constant threat on the right flank.

A foul on Gudmundsson – which earned Mathias Jorgensen the game’s first yellow card – brought a first chance as the Icelander’s free-kick was met by Kevin Long with a powerful header which was superbly saved by Lossl, Hendrick slotting in the rebound from an off-side position.

Gudmundsson went close himself with an excellent run into the box which ended with a shot pulled just wide of the post.

And the in-form winger then set up Steven Defour to drag an effort just off target following another impressive build-up featuring Hendrick and Barnes.

Former Huddersfield midfielder Scott Arfield also glanced a header wide as the Clarets were unable to get the goal to reflect their superiority before the break.

And as the same pattern was repeated early in the second half Arfield had another chance to put the Clarets in front, bursting into the box but seeing Lossl save his shot after Jack Cork and Defour had led another counter-attack.

Arfield continued to cause problems and with an hour gone his combination with the lively Hendrick should have brought the Clarets a penalty.

The pair played a one-two and after Hendrick rounded Lossl his legs were taken away by the Danish international, who, remarkably, went unpunished.

That reprieve appeared to lift Huddersfield, who enjoyed a positive spell without threatening Pope’s goal as the visitors again defended superbly to further enhance their rock-solid reputation.

Having replaced Hendrick with Sam Vokes, Dyche then made a second change by sending on Wells for his second Premier League appearance, following a debut from the bench against Tottenham a week ago, to try and wrest back the initiative.

And with five minutes to go the ploy almost worked to perfection as the ex-Terriers’ striker was within a whisker of a first Burnley goal as he latched onto a knock-down from Vokes to poke the ball goalwards.

The Bermudian scored 49 times for Town and would have added to his tally at the John Smith’s Stadium but for another impressive save with his legs by Lossl – one of the central figures on an afternoon when the Clarets justifiably felt three points, rather than one, would have been a more fitting reward for their efforts.

Burnley: Pope, Bardsley, Long, Mee, Taylor, Gudmundsson, Cork, Defour, Arfield, Hendrick (Vokes 73), Barnes (Wells 81). Substitutes: Lindegaard, Lowton, Marney, Westwood, Walters.

Booked: Mee

Huddersfield: Lossl, Hadergjonaj (Smith ht), Schindler, Jorgensen, Malone, Hogg, Mooy, Van La Parra, Ince (Lolley 55), Quaner (Williams 82), Depoitre. Substitutes: Coleman, Cranie, Mounie, Hefele.

Booked: Jorgensen, Lolley

Referee: Paul Tierney

Attendance: 24,095

Advertisement block