Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

On This Day: 10th August

10 August 2016

Thursday 10 August 1882 - Burnley 4-0 Burnley Wanderers

It was on this very day, 134 years ago, that the Burnley players took to the field ready for the club’s first-ever match as an association football club. 

Playing in blue and white stripes, the colours of the club’s fore-runners Burnley Rovers Rugby Club, the players took on local club Burnley Wanderers at Calder Vale, which had been the home of Burnley Rovers.

After a number of more informal trial matches the Burnley Committee were delighted with the victory on the club’s first “serious” outing, although sadly neither the team line-up or goalscorers were recorded.

The Committee were reasonably satisfied that a suitable squad of players was ready for the start of the new season, a combination of former Burnley Rovers rugby players and new arrivals from other clubs with association football experience.

However, in the Burnley Express the following Saturday, there was a piece by the club Secretary George Waddington which suggested that there may be room for improvement.

The Committee of the Burnley Football Club have decided to play evening trial matches 
with several local clubs, to enable them to select the best possible elevens for the coming season. 

Any person desirous of participating in these practices will oblige by sending his name and address, as early as possible to the hon secretary at the club.

Saturday 10 August 2013 - Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Burnley   

Three years ago today the Clarets travelled to Hillsborough for the first away fixture of the new season. The game was won thanks to first-half headers from Danny Ings and Sam Vokes and Burnley’s unbeaten start to the campaign was maintained.

Wednesday began powerfully but soon ran out of steam, allowing the Clarets to take control. They went in front on 33 minutes when Kieran Trippier played Ross Wallace in down the right. Wallace looked up and floated an inviting cross onto the head of Ings who couldn’t miss, nodding the ball past a static Chris Kirkland. 

Just five minutes later Trippier surged down the right, sped past his marker, and looped a delicious ball to the far post. Vokes was in plenty of space and crashed his header back across goal and into the corner.

The Owls started the second half as they had begun the first but Tom Heaton and his Burnley defence were in no mood to give any quarter. Wednesday’s attacks continued to founder and the Clarets looked dangerous on the break, always threatening to increase their lead.

However with 20 minutes left the home side at last found a breakthrough as right-back Palmer put in a cross for Prutton to attack and his diving header flew past Heaton. 
It led to a nervous finale but Burnley held firm and headed back across the Pennines with the points in the bag.

Burnley team (442):
Tom Heaton, Kieran Trippier, Kevin Long, Jason Shackell, Danny Lafferty,
Ross Wallace (David Edgar 74), Dean Marney, David Jones, Junior Stanislas (Scott Arfield 36), Danny Ings, Sam Vokes.

Advertisement block