Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bristol City 1 Burnley 2

29 August 2015

Bristol City 1 Burnley 2

Burnley turned defence into attack to stun Bristol City and go into the international break on back-to-back wins.

Ben Mee grabbed his first goal of the season against the run of first half play to end a confident start to the game by the Robins.

And by half time the Clarets had secured their second victory of the season through top scorer Michael Keane, who made it three goals in four games with another towering header from a corner.

Sub Jelle Vossen could have added a third as Burnley then coasted to three points after the break, despite Jonathan Kodija's last-gasp goal for the hosts.

But with three points in the bag, a solid debut for record signing Andre Gray and Joey Barton still to come into the side, this was a satisfying away day for Sean Dyche’s new-look Clarets.

Former Brentford striker Gray, who turned down a move to Ashton Gate to join the Clarets, partnered Sam Vokes in attack, with the Clarets otherwise unchanged.

Andre Gray

But it was a bright start from the Championship new-boys, managed of course by former Clarets boss Steve Cotterill.

And 15 minutes in it took a magnificent block from Tendayi Darikwa to deny Bobby Reid as he found room on the edge of the box and picked his spot.

Another fine block then denied dangerman Kodija when the City striker broke the offside trap and cut back onto his favoured left foot.

Burnley were having to defend well and in numbers to stop the red tide swarming forward in the opening quarter of the game.

And Tom Heaton was soon called into action for the first time when he got down low to his left to turn Reid’s arrowed effort for a corner.

Giant defender Aden Flint headed straight at Heaton and Kodija slid a dangerous cross just wide as the hosts continued to ask serious questions of the Burnley back line.

But from the Clarets first attempt of note, just after the half hour, Ashton Gate was silenced.

The Clarets won their first corner and from David Jones’ delivery, Mee rose highest to plant a magnificent header into the top left hand corner.

Heaton soon preserved that lead with another low save at his near post from Kodija’s fierce, angled effort.

But suddenly Burnley were a more confident outfit - and from a Michael Kightly-inspired break five minutes before the break, they doubled their lead and secured the win.

The wide man released George Boyd, who in turn sent Gray sprinting in the right channel, only for Flint to deny him with a perfectly timed challenge to concede a corner.

But from the flag kick City were again all at sea as Keane beat several team mates to power the simplest of headers past a startled Ben Hamer.

The home fans, in a suddenly more subdued atmosphere, couldn’t believe it!

The second half saw Burnley continue to repel City’s attempts to get back into the game.

Aaron Wilbraham weaved into a great positon, but couldn’t find a shot to match the build-up.

And when Derrick Williams let fly from all of 30 yards with 20 minutes remaining, the post came to the Clarets rescue as it began to dawn on the hosts this would not be their day.

Vossen could have added a sheen to the victory late on, as he won possession but couldn’t find a finish to open his Clarets account.

But Kodija's scruffy consolation with the last kick of the game mattered little as improving Burnley made their way back north with another confidence-boosting three points.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Darikwa, Keane, Mee, Duff, Kightly (Taylor 82), Jones, Arfield, Boyd, Gray (Vossen 70), Vokes (Jutkiewicz 55).
Subs: Gilks, Hennings, Ward, Anderson

BRISTOL CITY: Hamer, Little (Burns 59), Williams, Flint, Ayling, Smith, Reid, Wilbraham, Pack, Kodija, Bryan.
Subs: O'Leary, El-Abd, Robinson, Agard, Wagstaff

REF: M Dean

Att: 15,002 (1,342)

Advertisement block