Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Burnley U17s 3 Huddersfield Town U17s 1

8 October 2019

The Clarets closed in on a quarter-final place in the Clarets Cup as they came from behind to secure a second win in Group A.

Trailing to the Terriers at the break, Burnley hit back through Michael Mellon (top), substitute Joe Smyth-Ferguson and an own-goal to move to the top of the group.

And that should be enough to guarantee a top-four finish and a spot in the last eight of the tournament.

John Townson (1).jpg

“It is a balance picking a team to try and win the competition and to give players game time and it’s going well so far,” said assistant youth coach John Townson (above).

“Again, we played some 16-year-olds and now it’s looks like we’ll go through so we can play some more in the next group game.

“The boys did well in the second half. In the first half we did well up until the final third and we said at half-time that needed to improve.

“The quality was much better after that and we controlled the game well and scored a couple of nice goals.”

The Clarets had the elements behind them in the first half at a windy Barnfield.

But with passes frequently being over-hit an early chance for Mellon, which he steered wide from Finlay Armstrong’s cross, was the Clarets’ only real threat on goal.

John Townson (2).jpg

Goalscorer Joe Smyth-Ferguson replaced the injured Joe McGlynn

And Huddersfield, who had won their only group game so far, grabbed the lead on the break through Darnel Baxter-Alleyne’s tidy finish.

The Clarets might have expected to be on the back foot in the second half, but Mellon’s equaliser just four minutes in set the tone as Townson’s side took charge.

The young Scot – son of former Claret Micky – burst into the box and after cutting inside onto his right foot buried a shot into the roof of the net.

Mellon then had another chance but couldn’t quite squeeze a shot past Michael Foxburgh, who was beaten with 20 minutes to as Burnley went 2-1 up.

A free-kick from Dylan Moonan – who helped skipper Corey Brennan win the midfield battle – was deflected into his own net by Town defender Loick Ayina.

And two minutes later it was game over when two of the Clarets substitutes combined to add the third.

Sean Etaluku slipped in Smyth-Ferguson and the schoolboy stayed calm to side-foot home and effectively seal the Clarets’ passage through.

Burnley: Allen; Connolly, Rooney, Bridges, Armstrong; Unwin (Couch 62), Moonan, Brennan, Behan (Etaluku HT); McGlynn (Smyth-Ferguson 25), Mellon.

Advertisement block