Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

AFC Bournemouth U23s 7 Burnley U23s 1

6 October 2018

The development squad fell to a heavy 7-1 defeat in their opening Premier League Cup fixture against AFC Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium.

Former Clarets youth team player March Pugh stole the show on a wet and windy afternoon on the South coast.

The winger, starring in a strong home side, slotted home the first, before setting up Alex Dobre for the second a minute later.

Pugh grabbed his second just after the hour mark, before teeing up Gavin Kilkenny for the fourth and then unselfishly laying the ball off for Dobre to get his second shortly after.

The Clarets did pull one back with 20 minutes to go through Dan Agyei but the home side were not stopping there.

Pugh grabbed his third assist of the game, teeing up Dobre for his second, before substitute Tyrell Hamilton added a sixth,

And Burnley's miserable trip south was compounded when Jordan Cropper unfortunately found the back of his own goal with a clearance for the seventh.

Burnley started brightly as Agyei broke into the area, before squaring to Marley Blair, who blazed the ball just over the bar.

The Cherries then came close, as Keelan O’Connell forced George McMahon into a smart save with a volley from close range.

However, the hosts opened the floodgates shortly after, as Dobre picked out Pugh, who slotted home into the bottom corner.

Just a minute later Bournemouth added a second, as Dobre took advantage of a defensive error, before coolly finishing past McMahon.

Burnley came close to pulling one back, as Agyei burst forward, before curling the ball just wide of the post.

And the visitors were soon inches away from a grabbing a lifeline, as Tinashe Chakwana rounded goalkeeper Ramsdale, before sliding the ball into the goal, only for Mings to clear the ball away off the line.

However, the home side added a third shortly into the second half to effectively settle the tie.

The ball was lifted into the area, eventually falling to Pugh who slammed the ball home.

And a minute later the hosts had a fourth, as Pugh turned provider and teed up Kilkenny inside the box who poked the ball into the bottom corner.

Burnley did grab a consolation shortly after, as Mace Goodridge found Agyei, who turned and finished from close range.

But the Cherries added a fifth just seven minutes later; this time Pugh unselfishly picking out Dobre for his second of the match.

With just two minutes to go, Tyrell Hamilton rubbed salt in the wounds, after striking the ball past a stranded McMahon.

And just before the final whistle, Cropper unfortunately put the ball in the back of his own net in an attempt to clear, on a day to forget.

BURNLEY: McMahon, Cropper, Clarke, Younger, Glennon, Bayode (Fenlon 70), Howarth (Mupariwa 55), Goodridge, Blair (Harker 70), Agyei, Chakwana.

Advertisement block