Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

First-Team Fitness Boost From Barnfield Work-Out

Clarets draw 2-2 with Oldham in training ground bounce game

14 November 2017

Half a dozen senior players benefited from a competitive outing against an Oldham Athletic side in a bounce game at the Barnfield Training Centre which ended in a 2-2 draw.

Full-backs Phil Bardsley and Charlie Taylor both got some useful game-time into their legs behind a midfield in which Ashley Westwood and Dean Marney played for 90 minutes.

Nahki Wells topped up his match fitness with a lively 70-minute run-out, while Anders Lindegaard completed the first-team involvement as boss Sean Dyche took the chance to keep as many of his squad as possible up to full speed with a busy Premier League programme to come before the turn of the year.

The Clarets came from behind to lead 2-1 with goals from substitute Tinashe Chakwana and Freddie Ulvestad before the Latics – who also included a number of first-teamers – equalised with almost the last kick of a game played at a high tempo with no shortage of commitment from both sides.

Burnley had the better of the opening half, Bardsley getting forward to fire over with the first chance of the game with a quarter of an hour gone.

And Wells then saw an effort saved after being played in by Tunde Bayode.

Wells looked sharp as he continues to push for a first taste of Premier League action and after being released by a quick free-kick from Marney located the target with an angled drive which was pushed round the post.

Second-year scholar Dwight McNeil was given a further outing among the more senior ranks and delivered a sweet cross which Harry Flowers headed over the top as the Clarets again went close to opening the scoring before the break.

But Oldham started the second half positively and went ahead from the penalty spot after Marney – who again impressed as he took a further step along the comeback trail – fouled Courtney Duffus.

The former Everton youngster took the spot-kick himself to make it 1-0 but the Clarets hit back and levelled with 20 minutes to go.

An excellent through-ball from Ulvestad released Chakwana and the winger, a half-time replacement for Bayode, took his chance to slot home.

The Clarets looked to be finishing the stronger and went in front when Ulvestad powerfully headed home a cross from substitute Harry Limb with five minutes to go.

But in stoppage time the Latics made it 2-2 when Temi Obadeyi got away down the right-hand side and crossed for Darius Osei to tap home.

Burnley: Lindegaard, Bardsley, Flowers, Younger, Taylor, Westwood, Marney, Ulvestad, Bayode (Chakwana ht), Wells (Limb 70), McNeil. 

Advertisement block