Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Young Shrews Dent Clarets' Title Hopes

2 May 2017

Shrewsbury Town U18s dented Burnley's youth team chances of winning the league title with a last-gasp equaliser in a thrilling 4-4 draw,

The hosts grabbed a 92nd minute leveller to leave Michael Duff’s side two points shy of Youth Alliance leaders Blackpool, with one game remaining.

The Clarets can still win the league if they beat Accrington Stanley and Blackpool fail to beat Morecambe.

However, dropping points in such dramatic fashion has put the Seasiders in the driving seat ahead of the decisive last weekend.

Shrewsbury took the lead early on through Chris Gallagher, before three first half goals from Tinashe Chakwana (pictured, above), Tyler Shrimpton and Olatunde Bayode gave Burnley a 3-1 lead at the break.

The home side hit back in the 52nd minute through Fumpa Mwandwe, before Chakwana doubled Burnley's lead again just past the hour mark, but Shrewsbury were not backing down and scored again when Mwandwe nodded in with just 15 to go to set up the grand finale.

It was the home side who grabbed the first goal of the afternoon when Gallagher headed home Mwandwe's teasing ball.

However, just after the 20 minute mark good work from Dwight McNeil saw him cut the ball back to Chakwana, who was lurking in the area to slot home and pull things level.

Duff's side then took the lead as Shrimpton's in-swinging corner found the back post before rolling in to hand Burnley the advantage.

Tyler Shrimpton

And with a few minutes to go before half time Burnley got their third as Bayode, who was brought down for a penalty, stepped up and smashed home.

Olatunde Bayode

Town were not going down without a fight though and were rewarded for their brief attacking spell when Mwandwe glanced home Ryan Barnett's cross at the back post to give Shrewsbury a lifeline.

However, the Clarets again went two goals clear when Chakwana slammed in from a corner kick after the training ground set-piece paid off.

Again though, it was the home side who fought back and tricky forward Mwandwe grabbed his second and Town's third after tapping in from inside the box.

And with just two minutes of added-on time remaining left Shrewsbury struck as Barnett broke free before slotting in past Connor King to earn a dramatic point.

BURNLEY: King, Egan, Younger, Wilson, Koiki, McNeil (Jumeau), Shrimtpon, Yari, Bayode (Cropper), Limb (Wood) Chakwana.

Advertisement block