Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bournemouth 2 Burnley 1

13 May 2017

Bournemouth 2 Burnley 1

Sam Vokes scored against his old club but his 11th goal of the season was not enough to earn the Clarets a point as Josh King’s late strike gave Bournemouth a winning send-off in front of their own fans.

Vokes looked as though he had denied Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe a victory over his former employers when he headed his third goal in two games seven minutes from the end.

But the prolific King still had time to bag a winner as the Clarets’ were unable to hold on and put a final point on the board away from Turf Moor.

On a day of reunions, Burnley old boy Junior Stanislas had struck in the first half to give the Cherries a deserved lead.

The Clarets' exertions in securing their top-flight status a week previously looked to have finally caught up with them as they struggled to build a sustained response in the south-coast sunshine.

But the in-form Vokes made sure they would keep going to the end as he nodded in a fine cross from substitute Johann Berg Gudmundsson to make it nine Premier League goals for the season.

And it came as a painful blow when Sean Dyche’s men couldn’t keep the scores level for more than a couple of minutes as King pounced to guarantee Bournemouth their highest ever league finish and leave Burnley in 14th place with one game to go.

The Clarets started with an unchanged line-up for an eighth time this season as Michael Keane’s on-going absence with a calf injury had meant another starting chance in the centre of defence for Kevin Long as Dyche's men went in pursuit a second away success of their landmark campaign.

And Long made a vital early contribution with an excellent interception at full stretch to prevent a Stanislas cross reaching top scorer King in front of goal with just a couple of minutes gone.

That early threat was a taste of things to come from Stanislas, who provided the Cherries with a cutting edge down their right side and was only inches away from picking out King with another dangerous cross.

And with 25 minutes gone it was Stanislas who broke the deadlock with his sixth goal of the season to register goals in successive Premier League games for the first time in his career.

It was a classy finish from the former winger as he drifted inside and chested down Lewis Cook’s long ball and rolled a low shot inside Tom Heaton’s right-hand post.

But the Clarets will have been disappointed at how easily they were opened up by just a couple of passes from a free-kick at the edge of the Bournemouth penalty area.

However, the response was positive as the Clarets tried to create something themselves with Jeff Hendrick and Ashley Westwood driving Burnley forward from the middle of the park.

An early effort poked wide from George Boyd had been their only attempt until Scott Arfield made space for a left-footed effort from 20 yards which skidded just wide with half an hour gone.

And then two minutes before the break, Arfield went close again as Artur Boruc smothered at his feet as the Clarets’ wideman looked to latch onto a deflected shot from Ashley Barnes.

That proved to be Barnes’ last involvement as Dyche sent on Andre Gray at the start of the second half in a bid to boost Burnley’s potency and give the home side something different to think about.

And 10 minutes later the Clarets made another change with Robbie Brady added to the mix in place of George Boyd, Arfield swapping back to the left flank and then popping up just outside the penalty area to curl an effort only inches wide.

The better chances came Bournemouth’s way, though, as Lys Mousset headed at Heaton and King curled an effort wide after the Clarets lost possession and were exposed on the break.

Burnley’s back four – playing together for just the second time – were at full stretch to keep Bournemouth at bay and their team in the contest with just a one-goal deficit.

And while the scoreline remained that way a comeback remained a possibility, Gudmundsson coming off the bench with 15 minutes to go to try and provide the spark.

He was immediately involved, helping set up a shooting chance for Hendrick, which was blocked, and then releasing Matt Lowton to provide the cross which was cleared for the Clarets’ first corner with 12 minutes to go. 

That came to nothing but with 83 minutes gone Burnley’s perseverance paid off as they forced the equaliser to the delight of another impressive away following.

Gudmundsson was the provider with a superb cross from the left which Vokes – who started his career with the Cherries - met with a perfect glancing header to steer the ball past a helpless Boruc and into the far corner of the net.

That strike took the Wales international clear of Gray at the top of the Clarets’ scoring charts and also gave him 50 league goals for the club.

But it was not enough to secure any reward as Bournemouth hit back to grab a winner just two minutes later, substitute Ryan Fraser crossing for King to drive home his 16th league goal of the season.

Burnley: Heaton, Lowton, Long, Tarkowski, Ward, Boyd (Brady 55), Hendrick, Westwood, Arfield (Gudmundsson 75), Vokes, Barnes (Gray ht). Substitutes: Pope, Flanagan, Defour, Darikwa.

Bournemouth: Boruc, A Smith, S Cook, Francis, Daniels, Pugh, Arter (Gosling 81), L Cook, Mousset (Fraser 66), Stanislas (Ibe 86), King. Substitutes: Allsop, Gradel, B Smith, Mings.

Referee: Lee Probert

Advertisement block