Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

CEE Cup final: Burnley 1 Everton 3

Fightback in vain as Clarets lose to Everton to fall at final hurdle of Czech cup

26 July 2017

The final of the Generali CEE Cup proved just a step too far for the Clarets as their superb run in the tournament ended with defeat to Everton in Prague.

New under-18s boss Danny Cadamarteri was unable to engineer a defeat of his former club as two goals in the space of as many minutes early in the game swung the first all-English final in the seven-year history of the tournament Everton’s way.

And despite a brave second-half fightback led by Michael Fowler’s third goal of the competition, Everton held out and grabbed a third goal through Tom Warren to lift the trophy.

Despite finishing second best to an Academy side that operates with Category One status, the Clarets leave the Czech Republic with their heads held high.

Cadamarteri’s squad, which contained a dozen first-year scholars, went unbeaten on their first invitation to the prestigious 12-team competition until Everton ended that record to extend their own undefeated run.

The Toffees hadn’t conceded a goal en route to the final and also scored 12 times in their first three games.

Five of those goals had come from prolific striker Ellis Simms but he gave Burnley a let-off inside the first minute with a weak finish.

He remained a handful, though, and played a part as Everton took the lead after 16 minutes, flicking the ball on for Warren to beat Adam Bruce - named goalkeeper of the tournament - with an angled strike for his first of the night.

And a couple of minutes later Simms displayed his quality with the second goal that took the Merseysiders into clear water.

A long ball from Sid Kerr by-passed the Clarets’ defence and Simms’ finish was clinical as he rifled the ball home.

Everton also hit the woodwork and saw Simms put another effort wide as the Clarets carried their major threat from set-pieces before the break.

However, Cadamarteri made a couple of changes during the interval as he sent on Fowler and Dwight McNeil to try and give the Clarets a cutting edge and the move paid off.

McNeil tested Nico Hansen-Defreitas with a long-range effort five minutes into the second half.

And following good work by Fowler, Oscar Woods forced the Everton keeper into an even better save as he finger-tipped the midfielder’s 20-yarder just round the post.

The Clarets’ pressure was growing and with 16 minutes to go they got the goal they deserved through the industrious Fowler, who slotted in from close range after a McNeil free-kick had been knocked down into his path.

But just as a successful comeback looked possible Everton swiftly grabbed a third goal three minutes later to dash Burnley’s hopes, Warren again showing a cool head to steer the ball home following a pass from player-of-the-tournament Anthony Gordon and leave the Clarets with no tangible reward for a superb week’s work.

Burnley Football Club would like to thank independent website Up the Clarets for their generous donation and sponsorship of the team’s trip to the tournament.

Burnley: Bruce, Egan, Mpofu, Wilson, Younger, Jumeau (Kershaw 56), Woods, Mupariwa, Samms (Taylor 84), Cropper (McNeil ht), Allan-Meredith (Fowler ht). Substitutes: Wusiewicz, Yari, Layton, Moss, Harris, Thomas.

Everton: Hansen-Defreitas, Moore, Ouzounidis, Collins, Duke-McKenna, Zuk (Corke 65), Scully, Kerr, Warren (Anderson 90), Simms (McKeown 89), Gordon. Substitutes: Hilton, Anderson, Richards.

Advertisement block