Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Sunderland 0 Burnley 0

7 January 2017

Sunderland 0 Burnley 0

Burnley and Sunderland must try again at Turf Moor to find a winner after an FA Cup third-round stalemate on Wearside.

A replay the week after next is arguably an extra game neither side wants as they concentrate their efforts on the Premier League.

But the Clarets could barely have done any more to book their place in Monday night's fourth-round draw at the first attempt after an impressive performance at the Stadium of Light.

Joey Barton picked up where he left off as he made his second 'debut' for the Clarets after signing at the start of the month with a polished midfield display.

And defender James Tarkowski was another to stand out on only his second start of the season as Sean Dyche's men barely gave a near full-strength Sunderland side a sniff of goal.

The Clarets' only failure was to turn chances into goals - particularly in a totally dominant second half - but with a much-changed side maintaining an interest in the competition on the back of an upbeat away display, there were plenty of positives for Dyche to take on board.

The Clarets' boss made six changes to the side that narrowly lost at Manchester City to start 2017, while Sunderland manager David Moyes made only two from the starting line-up he sent out for a 2-2 draw against Liverpool last Monday.

However, just seven of the players who kicked off the 4-1 Boxing Day defeat at Turf Moor were on starting duty as Sunderland looked to avenge that potentially damaging league defeat.

And the Black Cats - unbeaten in their last five home league ties in the Cup - started well.

The home side moved the ball quickly and switched the play intelligently but Burnley's re-shuffled back line held firm to resrict them to long-range efforts as Jack Rodwell twice went close to finding the target.

And Burnley enjoyed good spells of possession themselves to create the best two chances of the first half.

Tendayi Darikwa, who made the most of his first start since the Clarets' Capital One Cup defeat at Accrington in August, created the first with a low cross which Sam Vokes dummed for Andre Gray to fire over the bar.

And Vokes then had the opportunity to put Burnley in front following an excellent move, crowned by Scott Arfield's sublime through-ball.

Vokes' first touch was good as he timed his run into the penalty area perfectly but the striker was unable to beat Vitor Mannone, who spread himself to make a fine save.

Gray was presented with another half-chance two minutes into the second half but from Darikwa's ball in - following an excellent free-kick from Tarkowski which turned defence into attack - he couldn't get a clean strike.

Despite the presence of 11-goal top scorer Jermain Defoe - who scored the Wearsiders' consolation goal in the recent league meeting - Rodwell continued to carry Sunderland's biggest goal threat.

And for the first time with 57 minutes gone, Nick Pope was tested with another long-range strike from Rodwell which the keeper, deputising for the rested Tom Heaton, touched over the bar.

Dyche was forced into a first change moments later when Arfield pulled up to be replaced by Michael Kightly, who immediately settled into the pace of the game and released Vokes with an excellent flighted pass.

Vokes opted to try and pick out Gray when a shot, albeit from a difficult action, may have been a more profitable option and with just under 20 minutes to go Gray was replaced by Ashley Barnes.

Jeff Hendrick also replaced the seemingly injured Gudmundsson at the same time and with Burnley stepping up the pressure in search of a winner, the impressive Tarkowski was unlucky to see his header from a Steven Defour corner hit a post.

Hendrick then saw a shot charged down by Papy Djilobodji following another slick passage of play and Barnes was also denied by some last-ditch defending as the Clarets looked to get the tie won at the first attempt.

The Clarets totally dominated the closing stages as they looked to repeat their fourth-round replay win in 1979 - their last victory on Wearside.

But this time a goal wouldn't come as Barnes blasted an effort over the top after giving Djilobodji the slip in the 90th-minute of a tie which will now get a second instalment.

Burnley: Pope, Darikwa, Keane, Tarkowski, Ward, Gudmundsson (Hendrick 72), Defour, Barton, Arfield (Kightly 60mins), Vokes, Gray (Barnes 72). Substitutes: Robinson, Lowton, Mee, Marney. Booked: Darikwa, Barton.

Sunderland: Mannone, Manquillo, Van Aanholt, Djilobodji, Denayer, Love, Rodwell, Larsson (O'Shea 84), Januzaj, Borini, Defoe. Substitutes: Mika, Maja, Asoro, E Robson, Embleton, Honeyman.

Referee: Stuart Atwell.

Attendance: 17,632

Advertisement block