Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FA Youth Cup: Burnley 0 Norwich 4

6 January 2017

Burnley were put to the sword as ruthless Norwich romped through in in the FA Youth Cup.

Clarets striker Tinashe Chakwana saw two gilt-edged opportunities slip away before a brace, either side of half time, from Bernard Ashley-Seal put the Canaries in control.

With a quarter of the game remaining, Louis McIntosh’s solo effort killed off any hopes of a fightback.

And McIntosh wrapped up a comfortable win with the last kick of the game to earn the 2013 winners a fifth round trip to either Spurs or QPR.

Norwich, the only team other than Chelsea to lift the trophy in the past five seasons, showed their qualities in a lightning-quick start.

Glenn Middleton was inches away with the first corner of the evening, looping over an in-swinger that dropped just beyond the far post.

Middleton then turned provider, squaring across the box for new Icelandic U17 international Agust Hlynsson, who blazed over from 12 yards.

Norwich had won the previous round at Watford 5-1, and continued their early assault on the Clarets’ goal, with Connor King turning aside Middleton’s angled effort.

But the hosts finally gained a foothold in the game and a sweet passing move across the Canaries back line saw Olatunde Bayode deliver a low ball that was hacked away from the lurking Chakwana.

And midway through the half, Burnley spurned a glorious chance to snatch the lead.

Bayode robbed the last defender as he dallied on the edge of his own box and played in Chakwana, who snatched at his shot and fired wide with just keeper Fergal Hale-Brown to beat.

And when Chakwana span onto Tyler Shrimpton’s delightful through ball into the box, with the Clarets now firmly on top, it took a point-blank save from Hale-Brown to keep his side on level terms.

But against the run of play, in the 39th minute, City took a lead into the break from the penalty spot.

McIntosh was first to react to a long ball that split the two centre halves and as a back-tracking James Clarke tried to challenge, King was adjudged to have tripped the striker.

The skipper saw yellow for the foul and had his misery compounded as Ashley-Seal drilled the resulting spot kick past him and straight down the middle.

City exerted their authority straight from the restart and doubled their lead in the 49th minute when Ashley-Seal rifled home from a corner at the second attempt.


And in the 67th minute, all hope of a comeback was quashed as McIntosh danced into the right side of the area and drilled the ball hard and low past a despairing King.

RJ Pingling stung the gloves of Hale-Brown in a late rally, but McIntosh completed his own double deep into the 90th minute to set the seal on a comfortable Canaries win.

BURNLEY: King, Grogan, Koiki, Howarth (Fenton 60), Clarke, Younger, Bayode (Pingling 78), Shrimpton, Wood, Chakwana, McNeil (Jumeau 70).
Subs: Wusiewicz, Wilson

Booked: Howarth 28

NORWICH: Hale-Brown; Aarons, Wallis (c), Odusina, Syme; Sambu, Hlynsson (Payne 64), Spyrou (Kamal 72), McIntosh, Middleton; Ashley-Seal (Fleming 65).
Subs: Catton, Dickerson (GK).

Booked: Spyrou 35

Ref: A Jackson

Advertisement block