Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Barnes Returns In Dev Squad Stalemate

18 October 2016

Ashley Barnes completed his first 45 minutes since pre-season as the Clarets Development Squad fought out a goalless draw with Sheffield Wednesday.

The Clarets striker has been ruled out of Sean Dyche’s plans since injuring a hamstring at Bradford in July.

And after a frustrating spell on the sidelines, the former Brighton man came through unscathed alongside strike partner Andre Gray in the stalemate at the Barnfield Training Centre.

With Dyche an interested observer, it was Burnley who got the ball rolling as Brad Jackson fed Gray for an effort which bounced off the post and out for a goal kick.

The visitors then had their first chance of the game when Warren Clarke was played through on goal, only to be denied terrifically by Conor Mitchell in the Clarets goal.

Wednesday then came close to breaking the deadlock when Jack Stobbs stepped up for a free kick just outside the area, which was forced for a corner from Mitchell.

The Owls were enjoying an attacking spell and when Matt Penney was played through on goal, Mitchell again pulled off an excellent stop to keep the scores level.

Barnes then set Jackson through on goal just before the break, only for the winger to fire just wide.

But it was the Yorkshire side who looked like they would go into the break with the lead when Jimmy Dunne was accused of handling in the area. Stobbs stepped up to the spot, but the unbeatable Mitchell tipped his spot kick wide.

Half time sub George Green got straight into the action, taking on several players before playing a neat one-two with Andre Gray and volleying just over.

And the deteriorating weather got the better of both sides, as torrential rain cancelled out any further chances of note.

BURNLEY: Mitchell, Birch, Trialist (Layton 45), Dunne, Koiki, Jackson, Thomas, Yao (Howarth 45) Chakwana (Bayode 72), Barnes (Green 45), Gray.
Unused subs: Olomewewe, King.

Advertisement block