Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Burnley Dev Squad 3 Cardiff Dev Squad 1

8 November 2016

Senior men Ashley Barnes and Patrick Bamford were both on target as Burnley’s Development Squad secured their first win in the group stages of the Premier League Cup.

Barnes followed up his match-winning goal against Crystal Palace last Saturday with a double as the striker continues building up to full match fitness.

Bamford was also given a run-out to get some game-time under his belt and the on-loan Chelsea frontman responded with his second goal of the competition to give Burnley the lead.

Coach Michael Jolley was able to use three senior players in his starting line-up, with Barnes joined by defenders Kevin Long and Tendayi Darikwa as the Clarets looked to boost their hopes of a place in the last 16.

That meant a more experienced line-up than the one beaten at Blackburn in Burnley’s opening Group B fixture.

And the Clarets took advantage by scoring twice in six first-half minutes against a youthful Cardiff side which had drawn with Sunderland in their first group match.

Brad Jackson had a hand in all three of Burnley's goals

The visitors did pose an early threat as Macauley Southam’s neat flick from a Tommy O’Sullivan cross forced Nick Pope into a sharp save at his near post.

But Bamford, who had scored from the spot in Burnley’s second qualifying round-win over Watford, made it 1-0 after 20 minutes.

Winger Brad Jackson showed great persistence to win the ball from a posse of Cardiff defender and when he crossed low into the six-yard box, Bamford was perfectly placed to slot home.

Jackson was involved again as Burnley quickly doubled their lead, delivering the corner for Barnes to steer a downward header into the bottom corner.

Jolley’s side looked in control at that stage but Cardiff responded positively to half the deficit before the break.

Pope denied Eli Phipps with another decent block with his legs but was then powerless when a free-kick from O’Sullivan was glanced through a crowd of bodies with Southam claiming the decisive touch to make it 2-1.

Aiden O'Neill has made three substitute appearances in the Premier League this season

The Clarets, who included youth-teamers Ali Koiki and Tinashe Chakwana in their starting line-up, also had to see out a spell of pressure at the start of the second half.

But Barnes then put the tie beyond the Bluebirds with his second goal of the game with almost an hour gone.

Again it came following a corner from the impressive Jackson, although this time Barnes found the target when steering home a right-footed volley after Jimmy Dunne had helped the ball back into the danger area.

Barnes went close to completing a hat-trick with a free-kick he clipped onto the roof of the net but, just as valuably, played the full 90 minutes as he rounded off a successful few days on the comeback trail.

Burnley’s next game in the competition is a trip to face Sunderland, who have taken four points from their opening two group matches, on Sunday, 4 December.

Burnley: Pope; Darikwa, Dunne, Long, Koiki (Howarth 73); Jackson (Bayode 85), O'Neill, Birch, Chakwana (McNeil 62); Barnes, Bamford. Subs: Mitchell, Howarth, Olomowewe.

Cardiff: O’Reilly, Rees (Blaise ht), Abbruzzese, Baker, Menayese, James, Southam, Weymans (Welch 75), Phipps, O’Sullivan, Tutonoa (So Sani 85). Subs: Byrne.

Advertisement block