Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review: Champions (Part Two)

17 May 2016

The Clarets were beginning to click and October and November proved two months that would help establish themselves as front runners.

Andre Gray and Sam Vokes were the first to start spreading the news as their goals, either side of Grant Ward’s stunning equaliser, saw a 2-1 victory over Rotherham United at the New York Stadium.

Gray was then at the double in a 2-0 victory over Bolton Wanderers back on home soil and three days later, a performance that typified the never-say-die attitude secured a precious point against 10-man Nottingham Forest.

Matt Taylor, who was making his first league start for the club, struck in injury time to deny the hosts after Eric Lichaj had opened the scoring on 73 minutes.

That late joy though, was merely a precursor to the events that would unfold days later in the East Lancashire derby at Ewood Park.

Scott Arfield was the hero as he struck the decisive blow to clock up his first goal of the season and cement his place in Clarets’ folklore.

The Scot’s joy at finding the top corner was clear to see as he raced the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of over 4,500 travelling fans. He had settled the derby day spoils!

The one game at time mentality continued to bear fruit and Sean Dyche’s men put derby day delirium firmly behind them to see off Huddersfield Town thanks to another Andre Gray brace.

It was five in as many games for the former Brentford frontman and an eighth win in 11 games.

Off the field, Barry Kilby was appointed Vice-Chairman to kick-off November but little changed on it.

Andre Gray’s scintillating form continued as he netted a third consecutive Turf Moor brace to send Fulham back to the capital empty handed in a 3-1 win.

Reminders of the competitive nature of the Sky Bet Championship then came in the form of three successive draws against Wolverhampton Wanderers, Brighton and Cardiff City.

A frustrating stalemate at Molineux was then followed up by a 1-1 draw against Brighton in front of the Sky Sports cameras.

The Seagulls arrived at Turf Moor in fine form and Bobby Zamora broke the deadline just inside the minute mark.

But in an explosive start to an otherwise tight game, Andre Gray equalised just two minutes later from the spot.

The trip to Welsh capital to face Cardiff proved to be more dramatic. The Clarets were denied a penalty with the score locked at 0-0, when Matthew Connolly appeared to handle on the line to stop a ferocious George Boyd effort.

Almost inevitably, Joe Ralls swung in a free-kick on the stroke of half-time which saw Arron Gunnarsson cushion a header past Heaton, before Sean Morrison doubled the hosts advantage.

Burnley bounced back off the canvas though and stunned the Bluebirds with a late fightback. Rouwen Hennings’ first for the club gave a glimmer of hope with five minutes remaining.

And three minutes into added time, they had their rewards as Michael Keane saw his header re-directed past the keeper by Matthew Connolly.

With Dean Marney also returning in that game, things were looking good going into December.

Advertisement block