Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U21 Report: Fleetwood 1-2 Burnley

11 March 2016

Ashley Barnes scored his second goal in as many games for the Development Squad in a 2-1 win over Fleetwood Town at Poolfoot Farm.

Barnes joined Matt Gilks, who played his first game following an elbow injury, Chris Long and Daniel Lafferty in the starting line-up.

And it took the returning striker just three minutes to open the scoring, before midfielder George Green netted the winner after the interval.

Lafferty’s diagonal ball found Chris Long in the box and his powerful cross to the far post was met by Barnes, who clinically nodded in the opener.

And the former Brighton forward almost grabbed his, and the Clarets second a minute later!

A superb through ball from one of four trialists featuring found Barnes inside the area, and his strike was brilliantly clawed to safety by the Cod Army’s stopper.

Fleetwood’s goalkeeper was then called into action midway through the half, when Green’s solo run saw him beat two players, before his audacious effort was tipped on to the crossbar.

The Clarets came close to doubling their advantage moments later.

Lafferty’s stunning first touch allowed for a cross to Long, who duly tapped home from six yards, only to be adjudged offside by the linesman.

Gilks was then called up twice in quick succession, first tipping over a strike from the edge of the box, minutes before brilliantly tipping a near post-strike wide off the post.

But despite his heroics, the hosts brought the game level five minutes before the break.

A pull back from the left flank found Fleetwood’s striker at the edge of the box, and a fanatic strike found the top right corner.

However the Clarets restored their advantage three minutes after the restart!

Relentless pressure down the right flank forced a Fleetwood error and when Barnes became the beneficiary of a poor pass, he squared the ball to Green who made no mistake with a cool finish.

Barnes played 75 minutes in the training match, and almost doubled his tally minutes before making way.

His one-two with fellow goalscorer Green teed up Barnes 20-yards out, before his curling strike flew agonisingly over the woodwork.

Burnley’s midfield trialist then made an instant impact after coming on. He drove into space on a mazy run and unleashed an effort that cannoned off the bar and out.

The Clarets had one final chance to extend their lead, but substitute Nathan Lowe’s ambitious volley from 35-yards was an inch wide of the post.

The Development Squad have now made it four wins in a row and they face Rochdale at home on Tuesday in their next fixture.

Burnley: Gilks; Birch (Trialist 75), Trialist, Trialist (Hill 60), Lafferty; Green (Frost 60), O’Neill (Lowe 60), Wilson (Trialist 60), Jackson (Trialist 60); Long, Barnes (Green 75)

Advertisement block