Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

On This Day: March 2

2 March 2016


Bolton Wanderers 1-3 Burnley

Following the Clarets’ victory at Bolton last weekend, today we feature another away win against the Wanderers, 31 years ago today, although this success was at Burnden Park.

There were not too many highlights during the 1984-85 season, a campaign which ultimately ended in relegation to the old Division Four, but this was one of them.

It was only Burnley’s third away win of the season and the first league double of the campaign, with Bolton having been beaten 3-2 at Turf Moor the previous October.

The Clarets were in the mood from the first whistle and the game had been in progress less than a minute when a long clearance from Joe Neenan was won by Wayne Biggins.

His flick on was collected by Peter Devine who found Kevin Hird on the right and Hird’s centre picked out Devine at the far post. Devine, by no means the biggest centre forward in the world, soared into the air to head powerfully past Wanderers keeper Farnworth to open the scoring.

 There were three future Clarets in the Bolton ranks and it was one of them, Warren Joyce, son of Walter Joyce of course, who equalised just two minutes later.

On 15 minutes however Burnley were in front again when Peter Devine, at the centre of things, as he was for most of this game, slipped a superb through ball down the left to Neil Grewcock.

The winger sped forward and then let fly with a tremendous right foot shot from 25 yards, beating Farnworth and finding the top corner.

With twenty minutes to go Wanderers brought on a substitute who would become familiar to the Burnley fans in the years ahead, but the introduction of George Oghani made no difference to Burnley’s domination of this game.

After 81 minutes it was 3-1 when an interchange between Tommy Hutchison and Grewcock led to Devine rolling the ball inside for left back Peter Hampton who was rampaging forward.

Hampton took the ball perfectly in his stride and his shot thundered into the net for his first Clarets’ goal, and the points were on their way back to Turf Moor.

Alas Burnley were unable to reproduce their sparkling form against Bolton on too many more occasions that season and the Clarets were relegated to Division Four for the first time in the club’s history.

Incidentally the third member of the future Clarets club in the Bolton side on that day in March 1985 was Ray Deakin who moved to Turf Moor the following summer.

“Whoosh” Deakin was the Burnley captain on that nerve-shredding day against Orient in May 1987.

Burnley team (235):
Joe Neenan, Geoff Palmer, Peter Hampton, Michael Phelan, Vince Overson, Kevin Hird,
Neil Grewcock, Derek Scott, Peter Devine, Wayne Biggins, Tommy Hutchison.

Also on this day in 1971 Burnley paid a then club record transfer fee of £60,000 to bring 20 year old centre forward Paul Fletcher to Turf Moor from his home town club Bolton Wanderers.

On this day in 1889 Burnley winger Jack Yates was selected for England and scored a hat-trick as Ireland were crushed 6-1 at Anfield, then the home of Everton. Amazingly Yates, Turf Moor’s first-ever international player, never appeared for his country again.

Advertisement block