Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

On This Day - March 9

9 March 2016

Blackburn Rovers 1-2 Burnley

After Burnley’s recent victory over Blackburn Rovers at the weekend, we continue the theme of derby day success for the Clarets.

It was two years ago today that Burnley recorded a welcome victory over Rovers, almost 35 years after the previous win, 2-1 at Ewood Park in April 1979.

As that televised clash kicked off Burnley sat in second place and on course for automatic promotion after just three defeats in the league all season. Rovers themselves were tenth after only three defeats since early December.

There were a couple of familiar faces in the Blackburn line-up on that day, with former England keeper Paul Robinson between the sticks. Also a young central defender was making his Rovers debut after arriving on loan from Manchester United just a few days earlier, his name was Michael Keane.

In the Clarets’ ranks was David Jones, who had joined Burnley in 2013 after a loan spell at Ewood Park.

Burnley started strongly with Sam Vokes sliding a Scott Arfield cross into the net with just seven minutes gone, only for the effort to be ruled offside.

With the home side pushing forward top scorer Rhodes, without a goal since New Year's Day, then tried his luck with a thunderous effort from the edge of the area, which went just wide.

Then, on 24 minutes, Rovers' record signing controlled a Jason Lowe cross expertly and placed his shot wide of Tom Heaton to give the home side a lead they just about deserved.

After the interval the Clarets upped the pace, with an effort from Danny Ings goalbound until Keane got in the way. Rovers broke away and Rhodes should have doubled the lead when David Jones's wayward back-pass fell at his feet, but his shot hit an upright.

The game began to turn as Burnley continued to press and on 73 minutes the Clarets forced their equaliser. A free kick from Ross Wallace was floated into the goalmouth and it was skipper Jason Shackell, who rose highest to head it home to rapturous applause from Turf Moor’s travelling hordes.

Six minutes later came the winner as Wallace's initial effort was blocked by Henley before Ings got there ahead of team-mate Ashley Barnes to find the net. The points were in the bag and the Clarets’ party, 35 years in the planning, could now get started.

Burnley boss Sean Dyche said after the game

"We didn't feel too disappointed at going 1-0 down. I told the players at half-time that we should keep going forward. I'm delighted for the fans, who have waited a long time for this moment.”

Burnley team (442):
Tom Heaton, Kieran Trippier, Michael Duff, Jason Shackell, Ben Mee, Scott Arfield, Dean Marney, David Jones, Michael Kightly (Ross Wallace), Danny Ings, Sam Vokes (Ashley Barnes)

Also on this day, birthday greetings to Clarets’ legend and Turf Moor matchday host Andy Lochhead, who is 75 years young today.

Andrew Lorimar Lochhead was born in Milngavie, Stirlingshire in 1941, joining Burnley from Renfrew Juniors, initially on trial, in 1958. He made his First Division debut in 1960 and went to make 266 senior appearances for the Clarets, scoring 128 goals.

101 of Andy’s goals were in the league, all of them in the top flight, and he is one of only six Clarets in Burnley FC history to score a century of league goals for the club.

He won one under 23 cap during his time at Turf Moor and played his final match for the Clarets in October 1968 before moving on to Leicester City. He collected an FA Cup runners-up medal in 1969, as the Foxes lost to Manchester City and was at Wembley again in 1971, after his transfer to Aston Villa.

This time it was in the League Cup final, as Villa were beaten by Tottenham. At the end of his career Andy at last earned winners medals, at Third Division level, as first Aston Villa won that title (1972), then his last English club Oldham Athletic, also won the Third Division Championship in 1974.

Many happy returns on your special day Andy, from everyone at Burnley Football Club.

Advertisement block