Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Burnley

2 February 2016

Report: Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Burnley

Two goals three minutes into each half meant that Burnley shared the spoils with Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough.

Andre Gray scored his 18th goal of the season after just three minutes, before former Manchester United midfielder Kieran Lee brought the game level shortly into the second half.

Sam Vokes had a chance 20 minutes from time for the winner, but his volley was the wrong side of the post as Burnley go three points behind Middlesbrough in second.

The draw meant the Clarets extended their unbeaten league run to six games, with top of the league Hull City visiting Turf Moor on Saturday. 

Sean Dyche named an unchanged line-up from the 4-1 league victory over Derby County, last time out.

And it was a dream start from the Clarets!

Gray had already tested Kieran Westwood after 30 seconds with a long-range strike, but his next opportunity gave the Owls keeper no chance.

Matt Lowton’s throw-in from the right found Sam Vokes on the corner of the penalty box, and the striker rolled his marker and squared to his strike partner for a simple tap-in.

The goal rewarded a lively start, and it took Wednesday 15 minutes to respond, with former Claret Ross Wallace failing to worry Tom Heaton from 15-yards.

Wednesday appeals for numerous tame free-kicks were waved away before the Clarets had a chance to double their advantage on the half hour mark.

Stephen Ward superbly played in George Boyd down the flank touchline and the winger pulled back to Arfield in acres of space at the edge of the box.

However his sidefoot shot was skied over the crossbar, before the Owls had their best spell of the half.

Wallace’s out-swinging cross from a corner routine was flicked on by Gary Hooper to Fernando Forestieri at the far post, but his stabbed attempt was gathered by Heaton.

Wallace was the hosts’ biggest threat in the first half and the winger again went for goal from distance, this time his powerdrive whistled over the crossbar.

Despite Wednesday’s possession though, the Clarets were inches away from their second moments before the break.

David Jones’ corner from the right was headed goal-bound by Vokes, but Westwood’s diving save clawed the loose ball off the line to keep Burnley’s lead to one at half time.

However like the Clarets, the Owls scored three minutes after the restart!

Barry Bannan’s cross to the penalty spot was knocked down by the towering Nuhui to Lee, who converted the equaliser through Heaton’s outstretched legs.

Matt Taylor replaced Boyd on the hour mark and the winger came close with his first touch.

Jones’ free-kick into the box bounced out to the former West Ham wide man, who half-volleyed inches over from 20-yards.

With 20-minutes to play a piece of magic from Taylor almost put the Clarets back ahead.

A stunning fizzing ball from the right found Vokes six-yards out, but the forward couldn’t cleanly connect with his volley with just Westwood to beat.

Two rouge efforts from the hosts sailed harmlessly wide, before the Clarets pressed forward in the remaining five minutes.

Rouwen Hennings replaced goalscorer Gray, before two chances fell for the Clarets.

Westwood pulled off two fine saves, the second from a Arfield strike before a Stephen Ward’s volley struck the woodwork, for the referee to award a Wednesday free-kick.

And with one of the final kicks of the game, Hennings’ half-volley could have awarded Burnley a dramatic win, but Westwood gathered.

Burnley: Heaton; Lowton, Keane, Mee, Ward; Arfield, Jones, Barton, Boyd (Taylor 59); Vokes, Gray (Hennings 87). 
Subs: Robinson, Duff, Darikwa, Kightly, Ulvestad
Goals: Gray 3’
Yellow: Barton 32’, Keane 84’

Sheffield Wednesday: Westwood; Hunt, Loovens, Hutchinson, Pudil; Wallace (McGeady 87), Bannan, Lee, Forestieri; Hooper, Nuhiu  (Joao 82)
Subs: Price, Semedo, McGugan, Bennett, Sasso
Goals: Lee 48’
Yellow: Lee 83’
Attendance: 19,762 (1012 away)

Advertisement block