Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tottenham 2 Burnley 1

18 December 2016

Tottenham 2 Burnley 1

Danny Rose extended Burnley’s away-day misery with a goal 20 minutes from time to cap Spurs fightback.

The Clarets’ gave themselves a platform with a first goal on the road from open play this season, through Ashley Barnes in the 21st minutes of an absorbing contest.

Dele Alli ensured the lead would be short lived with a precise finish just before the half hour.

And as Spurs pushed for a winner after the break against a Burnley side always dangerous on the counter, Rose smashed home to complete the turnaround.

Burnley made one change, with Barnes starting in place of Sam Vokes, who dropped to the bench.

Spurs were without centre back Toby Alderweireld, with Eric Dier stepping into defence.

There was an immediate chance for the hosts, when Danny Rose and Harry Kane combined brilliantly to send Alli clear through on goal, only for the fans’ favourite to thankfully sky his effort.

Kane fired wide and Michael Keane got a brilliant head to Christian Eriksen’s goalbound volley as the early charge continued.

But the best chance of the early stages fell to the Clarets in the 11th minute.

Stephen Ward cut out an attempted Spurs’ clearance and found Gray with a pinpoint low cross which the striker met it first time. But somehow, from point-blank range, Hugo Lloris scrambled the ball clear with his legs.

However, Lloris was given no chance in the 21st minute as the Clarets got their noses in front.

Scott Arfield kick-started things, showing great persistence to hold the ball up on the left and eventually find George Boyd, whose low cross was poked home inside the six-yard box by Barnes.

The lead though lasted just six minutes, as Kyle Walker squeezed a right wing cross towards Alli, who coolly side-footed home through a ruck of bodies.

And as Spurs’ pushed for a half time lead, Tom Heaton came to the rescue!

Harry Kane was released in the right channel and went for goal first time, but the Clarets skipper somehow kept out a low, angled effort with his left heel.

Burnley started the second half brightly and Gray, who held off Walker well, appealed in vain for a penalty after racing into box and going down under a strong but fair challenge from Dier.

But there was a scare at the other end when Alli picked his spot from 25 yards and went for the top corner with precision, missing by inches as Heaton scrambled across goal.

And just past the hour, Heaton was brilliantly placed to get down well and parry Eriksen’s fierce effort from distance, with Ben Mee clearing the loose ball from danger.

However, the Clarets keeper could do nothing to keep out Rose’s hammer 20 minutes from time.

The left back found himself in space on the left to accept the pass from Sissoko - who could perhaps find himself lucky only to be booked seconds earlier for a high foot on Ward – and rifled the ball in at the near post.

Sissoko goes in high on Stephen Ward

The Clarets used all three substitutes to try and build some pressure as the game entered the latter stages.

But they could not force the one clear-cut chance that might have earned a reward for all their endeavours.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Ward, Mee, Keane, Lowton, Arfield, Marney (Defour 82), Hendrick, Boyd (Kightly 82), Barnes (Vokes 78) Gray.
Subs: Robinson, Darikwa, Flanagan, Tarkowski.

Booked: Barnes 28, Lowton 90

SPURS: Lloris (C), Walker, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose, Wanyama, Winks, Dembele (Sissoko 62), Eriksen, Alli (Son 73), Kane
Subs: Vorm, Davies, Trippier, Wimmer, Nkoudou.

Booked: Sissoko 69

Ref: K Friend

Advertisement block