Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Sunderland U23 1 Burnley U23 1

18 December 2016

Burnley's U23 Development team picked up a hard earned point against 10-man Sunderland in their latest group game.

The Black Cats, who had beaten Manchester United and Benfica in recent weeks, were a man short for 70 minutes of the game, as George Brady was sent off early on.

And despite leading for the majority of the second half through Jimmy Dunne’s strike, the Clarets could not hold on George Honeyman equalised for the home side with six minutes left on the clock.

Burnley had the first chance of the game as Olatunde Bayode beat Tommy Robson before squaring a pass to Khius Metz in the box, who fired wide.

Sunderland then had their first attack when Honeyman found Luke Molnyeux out wide, who burst forward before James Clarke put in an excellent challenge to deny the winger.

It looked as if Burnley were going to take the lead as Metz broke through on goal, however last defender Brady pulled the pacy striker down with the referee awarding a free kick and showing a red card to the towering centre half.

However, it was the Black Cats who tested Conor Mitchell in the Burnley goal, as Ethan Robson smashed a curling free kick towards him.

But Michael Jolley's side did get what they had been pushing for as half time approached, as Arlen Birch played a nice pass to Dunne in the area for the former Manchester United defender to rifle the ball past James Talbot and give Burnley the lead.

The hosts had more purpose about them in the second half, and it looked like they had equalised when Carl Lawson exchanged passes with Andrew Nelson before being denied by Mitchell.

The Clarets stopper then brilliantly stopped Clarke’s deflection from a Molnyeux cross sneaking into his own goal.

But Sunderland’s attacking spell finally paid off when Honeyman broke into the box before finding the bottom corner to draw things level in the 84th minute.

The 10 men were now pushing for a late winner and it looked that way when star man George Honeyman picked up the ball inside the box and forced a terrific save from Mitchell to keep it level.

BURNLEY: Mitchell, Clarke, Dunne, Olomewewe, Birch, Jackson, Howarth (Koiki 85), O'Neil, Baydoe, Chakwana (Jumeau 69), Metz (McNeil 21).

Advertisement block