Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 2 Liverpool 0

20 August 2016

Burnley 2 Liverpool 0

First Premier League goals from Sam Vokes and Andre Gray earned the Clarets a huge scalp as they got their Premier League season up and running.

Vokes kick started a fabulous day with a stunning strike in the opening two minutes after being teed-up by Gray – the first league goal scored against the Reds since Ray Hankin way back in 1975!

And last season’s Championship player of the year sensationally doubled the lead eight minutes before the break following a stunning break led by Belgian debutant Steven Defour.

Jurgen Klopp’s side had plenty of possession, but despite peppering Tom Heaton’s goal from distance they could find no way past a magnificent Clarets’ rearguard.

There was an immediate debut for new signing Defour, who took the now-departed David Jones place in the midfield engine room.

And following an impressive pre-season with the first team, young Aussie midfielder Aiden O’Neill was rewarded with a place on the bench.

And it took just two minutes for the Clarets to set the tone for the afternoon.

Gray intercepted a loose ball infield from Nathaniel Clyne and fed Vokes, who turned on the edge of the box and rifled home an unstoppable drive.

Gray soon found another hole in the visitors’ defence soon after, but Dejan Lovran got back in the nick of time to make a decisive tackle.

Gradually, Liverpool got their passing game going and Phillipe Coutinho saw two sight-setters curl harmlessly over the angle.

Daniel Sturridge fizzed one just wide of Tom Heaton’s right hand post on the half hour mark as the Reds’ continued to probe.

But eight minutes before the break, Turf Moor erupted as the Clarets doubled their lead in stunning fashion.

Defour led the charge and found Gray in the right channel. From then on, it was all the striker’s own work as he cut inside two defenders and beat Mignolet with a fabulous low shot into the far corner.

Jurgen Klopp had work to do at the break to regroup his shell-shocked troops.

And early in the half playmaker Coutinho tested Heaton with an early effort, before the Clarets stopped clawed out a shot from distance from Roberto Firmino.

Debutant Defour made way for Johann Berg Gudmundsson 10 minutes into the half, following a terrific effort from the Belgian.

The pressure quickly grew as the visitors continued to dominate possession, and Divock Origi replaced Sturridge as the game neared the three-quarter mark.

But as the Reds regrouped, it was Gray who looked to seal it – driving a 25-yarder over the angle.

Heaton expertly tipped over a speculative effort from Lovran as the clock ticked ever so slowly towards the last 10 minutes.

But the Clarets saws out the remaining time with no further scares, and the icing on the cake was a late debut for O’Neill who, like the Clarets players, enjoyed a day to remember.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Ward, Mee, Keane, Lowton, Arfield, Marney, Defour (Gudmundsson 56), Boyd, Vokes (Jutkiewicz 82), Gray (O’Neill 90)
Subs: Robinson, Tarkowski, Darikwa, Kightly

LIVERPOOL: Mignolet, Clyne, Wijnaldum, Loran, Milner (Moreno 33), Coutinho, Firmino, Henderson, Sturridge (Origi 64), Klavan, Llalana (Grujic 78).
Subs: Manninger, Can, Matip, Stewart.

Booked: Henderson 65

Ref: L Mason

Att: 21,313 (2,414)

Advertisement block