Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 0 Swansea 1

13 August 2016

Burnley 0 Swansea 1

Leroy Fer’s late strike inflicted a first league defeat on Burnley in eight months to decide the Premier League curtain raiser.

The Clarets were pushing hard for a second half winner when Fer struck in the 83rd minute after Tom Heaton had saved Fernando Llorente’s deflected header.

And with Lukasz Fabianski making two world class stops to first deny Sam Vokes, then Dean Marney at the death, Sean Dyche’s side suffered a first loss since Hull defeated them on Boxing Day last year.

For their return to the top flight Burnley’s starting 11 had a familiar look to it, with David Jones for Joey Barton the only change from the triumphant title-winning end to last season at Charlton Athletic.

It was a bright start from the visitors, with Gambian wide man Mo Barrow twice fouled by Stephen Ward as he looked to advance down the right.

Centre backs Michael Keane and Ben Mee also had to cut out dangerous crosses as the Swans kept up the early pressure.

The Clarets forced their first corner on the quarter hour mark, which was smuggled to safety.

But it was Heaton who was the first goalkeeper to be tested, as new signing Llorente drilled a 25-yard effort into his midriff.

At the other end, Fabianski almost spilled an in-swinging David Jones corner into his own net, and from a lovely assist by George Boyd, Andre Gray blazed over from the right side of the area.

And the best chance of the half was fashioned by the visitors 12 minutes from the break when Barrow, now operating on the left, picked out Wayne Routledge with a deep cross that the Swans defender slashed back across goal and wide.

Suddenly, the game opened and as Burnley broke, Gray played a one-two with Dean Marney and, after sprinting the length of the field, saw his low, angled shot parried by Fabianski.

And as an even half drew to a close, Scott Arfield was perfectly placed to hack Jordi Amat’s flick away from inside the far post.

Burnley were put of the traps first from the restart and, from Matt Lowton’s right wing delivery, Marney ghosted in to loop a header onto the roof of the net.

And when Fabianski flapped at a corner from Jones 10 minutes in, the inrushing Michael Keane appeared to be impeded, denying him a free header from point blank range at the far post.

Michael Keane is impeded in the box

But the Pole got his angles right just before the hour mark to deny Vokes.

Arfield teed-up the Welshman perfectly with a cushioned ball and after taking a touch, the Clarets’ striker’s half volley looked to be arrowing into the bottom corner until Fabianski clawed it for a corner.

Lowton slashed a shot wide soon after as the hosts cranked up the pressure.

However, Swansea sounded a warning that they too were still a threat - and from a flicked-on corner, Argentinean Federico Fernandez somehow blazed over from inside the six-yard box with the goal at his mercy!

There was a debut for Johann Berg Gudmundsson with 15 minutes remaining, as Arfield made way.

But it was Swansea sub Jefferson Montero whose impact had the significant bearing, as he fed Llorente for a header that Heaton could only parry into the path of the inrushing Fer.

Stung, the Clarets launched another late rally and after Gudmundsson’s frfee kick was only half cleared to Marney, the midfielder’s deflected drive brought a match-winning save from Fabianski.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Ward, Mee, Keane, Lowton, Arfield (Gudmundsson 75), Marney, Jones (Jutkiewicz 87), Boyd, Gray, Vokes.
Subs: Robinson, Darikwa, Tarkowski, Kightly, Ulvestad.

Booked: Jones 42, Ward 67, Lowton 80

SWANSEA: Fabianski, Amat, Britton (Sigurdsson 60), Fer, Llorente, Routledge (Rangel 87), Barrow (Montero 64), Cork, Naughton, Fernandez, Kingsley.
Subs: Nordfeldt, Van Der Hoorn, Dyer, Fulton

Booked: Amat 53, Fernandez 90

Ref: J Moss

Att: 19,126 (1,365)

Advertisement block