Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U21s Report: Burnley 3-3 Fleetwood Town

24 September 2015

Fredrik Ulvestad played his first 90 minutes in his comeback from injury in a thrilling 3-3 draw against Fleetwood Town at Gawthorpe.

Cameron Dummigan scored his second goal in as many starts and Ntumba Massanka continued his rich vein of form, scoring another brace, including a late equaliser to salvage a point in the first group game of the Final Third Development League.

The Clarets, who also face Morecambe and Bradford City in the round robin stages, fielded right-back Arlen Birch, fresh from signing a one-year deal that morning.

And the first chance of the game came after just five minutes, with defender Alex Whitmore arrowing a fierce volley inches wide from a deep corner.

The visitors came the closest to the opener 10 minutes later when Keano Deacon cut inside and shot at goal, forcing a fine save out of Danijel Nizic.

But five minutes later the same player replicated the move, this time finding the back of the net with a more venomous strike.

However, it took the Clarets just five minutes to level as Dummigan bombed forward, picking up Steven Hewitt’s ball, before neatly cutting inside and beautifully finding the far corner.

Ulvestad looked lively all game, and came close to putting the Clarets into the lead moments before half time. The midfielder’s solo run was palmed by the goalkeeper, but he was quick to pounce on the loose ball to deny Massanka a tap-in.

Shortly after the restart the visitors almost restored their lead, but a well hit strike whistled just wide of Nizic’s near post.

But just two minutes later the Clarets were in front as Massanka was clearly brought down in the area and the striker stepped up to find the corner from the spot.

But the lead didn’t last long and the Cod Army turned the game on its head, scoring two goals just after the hour mark.

The first the Clarets feel they could have done better with as Nizic fumbled the initial cross,resulting a simple tap-in to bring the game level.

And just three minutes later the turnaround was complete, with another in swinging set piece was only half cleared and a half-volley found the back of the net.

Jamie Frost thought he brought the game back level once more nine minutes from time, but the outside of the post denied the forward.

However, the scoring was completed in the dying stages, when goalscorers Dummigan and Massanka linked up, before the latter slotted home a dramatic leveller.

Burnley: Nizic; Birch (Hobson 87), Whitmore, Hendrie, Dummigan; Jackson (Smith 60), Ulvestad, O’Neill (Metz 72), Hewitt; Frost, Massanka

Advertisement block