Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U21s Report: Burnley 3-0 Wigan Athletic

28 September 2015

The Development Squad romped to a 3-0 victory against Wigan Athletic at Turf Moor in the U21 Premier League Cup.

Ntumba Massanka extended his rich vein of form, scoring a brace to take his goalscoring tally to seven goals in five games.

Tom Anderson sealed the win for the Clarets with a late header, in a game that featured Fredrik Ulvestad and Kevin Long, while Chris Eagles made a Turf Moor return on trial for the Latics.

And just two minutes into the game Ulvestad almost gave the Clarets an early lead when Massanka went on a solo run into the box before squaring to the Norwegian, whose shot was well tipped over.

The resulting corner was a half chance for the Clarets as the deep corner was headed to the front post, but Long had a difficult header at the near post, nodding wide.

And 15 minutes later the Clarets were on the prowl once more, Jamie Frost played a one-two with Dan Agyei and the winger, with the outside of his foot bent an effort to the far post, but Adrian Purzycki did well to clear off the line.

Midway through the first half the Clarets continued their dominance, as Bradley Jackson found Agyei at the edge of the box, before feinting and threading in Frost. The winger’s first touch took it past Poland U18 defender Purzycki, but his second was a shot that found the side netting.

And on the half hour mark the Clarets got a deserved opener through Massanka. The forward pounced onto the end of Ulvestad’s through-ball, before the striker coolly rounded Wales U19 international goalkeeper Owen Evans. The striker still had some work to do though, but the in-form forward expertly found the back of the net.

Three minutes later the visitors had their first chance of the half when a deep ball in from the right was aimed towards Grant Holt whose header was deflected inches wide.

From the restart the Clarets continued their non-stop pressure and the lively Frost broke down the left before finding Massanka at the far post at the second attempt, but the forward’s header was well cleared off the line by Adam Anson.

10 minutes later Tom Anderson showed his experience by pulling off a fine last-ditch tackle to deny Louis Robles a tap-in after a neat square ball from Holt.

And midway through the second half the Clarets doubled their advantage, as Massanka wonderfully grabbed his second.

Frost again was heavily involved, beating his man before finding substitute Renny Smith at the edge of the box, he chipped left to Massanka, who prolifically half-volleyed his second past Evans.

And with 12 minutes to play the Clarets sealed the win with a third. Jackson’s corner from the right to the penalty spot was thunderously headed in by Anderson.
Burnley: Mitchell; Dummigan, Anderson, Long (Whitmore 81), Hendrie; Jackson, O’Neill, Ulvestad, Frost; Massanka (Metz 71), Agyei (Smith 52)
Subs: Nizic, Birch
Wigan: Evans; Burke, Purzycki, Anson (Stubbs 82), Lingard; O’Brien (Barrigan 82), Cowie, Hamilton, Eagles (Cosgrove 67); Holt, Robles
Subs: Absalom, Baxendale
Attendance: 492

Advertisement block