Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Burnley 2-1 MK Dons

15 September 2015

Report: Burnley 2-1 MK Dons

Burnley recorded their fourth successive league victory as they overcame a plucky MK Dons 2-1 at Turf Moor.

The Clarets took the lead twice in the game, one in each half when Sam Vokes gave Burnley the lead before George Boyd cancelled out Carl Baker’s equaliser.

Sean Dyche named an unchanged side for a third game in a row on a night where victory propelled them into third place in the Sky Bet Championship.

The first chance of the game fell for Dons’ winger Robert Hall, who fired his strike inches over Tom Heaton’s crossbar.

But the deadlock should have been broken 15 minutes in when Andre Gray was played in on goal after a neat flick-on from Vokes, but the striker couldn’t steer the ball either side of keeper David Martin.

On the half hour mark the Clarets almost took the lead once more as David Jones’ inswinging corner was met by Michael Keane, but the defender saw his header skim out off the crossbar.

And just a minute later another chance went begging as Ben Mee played a long ball over Dons’ defence to Gray, who was being handled all the way, but the forward’s heavy touch meant the chance got away.

But just a minute later the Clarets were ahead with a thunderbolt! Michael Kightly nutmegged right-back Jordan Spence to tee up Vokes, who rifled a venomous effort into the top left corner past the hapless Martin.

After gathering momentum, the Clarets almost doubled their lead when Tendayi Darikwa’s cross to the far post was failed to be cleared and George Boyd’s follow-up volley was cleared on the line by Anthony Kay.

However, on the stroke of half time the visitors levelled when Carl Baker rose highest at the back post to head home Samir Carruthers cross right-wing cross.

It would take just four minutes after the restart for the Clarets to retake the lead as George Boyd rifled in a thunderous first-time volley, after Gray had stood the ball up to the back post.

And the chances continued to flow. Five minutes later Gray once again showed his pace to get in behind down the right, before opting to shoot rather than cut the ball back and his strike was deflected into the side-netting by a sliding Diego Poyet.

Midway through the second half Gray came close again once more, heading over from an acute angle from a diagonal Boyd delivery.

Another chance went begging when Vokes almost grabbed his second with a powerful header, but was denied by a goal-line clearance from Simon Church.

With one minute before the end of the 90, super sub Matt Taylor had took from the edge of the box, only to see the ball take a wicked deflection and drift narrowly wide.

A last-gasp Heaton save, tipping over a testing cross from Baker sealed Burnley’s victory and the Clarets remain unbeaten at Turf Moor.

Burnley: Heaton; Darikwa, Duff, Keane, Mee; Boyd, Jones, Arfield, Kightly (Taylor 85); Vokes (Hennings 75), Gray (Long 79)

Subs: Gilks, Lowton, Ward, Anderson

MK Dons: Martin; Spence, McFadzean, Kay, Lewington; Carruthers, Poyet, Bowditch (Powell 81); Hall (Murphy 67), Baker, Church (Gallagher 75)

Subs: Hodson, Upson, Aguza, Burns

Yellow: Carruthers 39’, Baker 92’

Attendance: 15,845 (166)

Advertisement block