Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

On this day: September 30

30 September 2015


Wolves 0-1 Burnley

Exactly ten years ago Burnley travelled to Molineux for a Friday night fixture against Wolves in the Championship, shown live to the nation on Sky TV.  It was a mainly rearguard action but the Clarets came away with three hard-earned points thanks to a Garreth O’Connor free-kick finding the Wolves net on 23 minutes.

It was a very welcome win for the Burnley players, and especially the fans. The Clarets had suffered defeat in each of their previous seven visits to Molineux in league and cup, and had not even found the net in any of them, since a Neil Grewcock goal had secured a 1-0 win nearly two decades earlier in September 1986.

In charge of Wolves in 2005 was former England boss Glenn Hoddle, who left Molineux the following summer at the end of his last job in football management.

Team (442): Brian Jensen, Michael Duff, John McGreal, Frank Sinclair, Jon Harley,
Micah Hyde, James O’Connor, Garreth O’Connor, Graham Branch,
Ade Akinbiyi (Karl Bermingham), John Spicer (Chris McCann).


Barnsley 1-1 Burnley

The Clarets were top of Division Two when they travelled to face Barnsley, one of their rivals for promotion. Taking his place in the Burnley team there was a face very familiar to the Oakwell faithful, their former centre half and captain Tommy Boyle.

Boyle had lined up for Barnsley just a week earlier in a home fixture against Hull City, but little did the supporters realise that the next time they saw him he would be making his debut in a Burnley shirt, facing his former team mates.

Tommy Boyle, who was born locally, had been a key member of the Barnsley defence for five years and he received a very warm welcome from the Oakwell fans. He had been transferred to Turf Moor during the week for a record fee and played his part as his new team drew with his old one. A first half penalty, after a foul on Freeman, was dispatched by Mountford, before a second half equaliser from Barnsley centre forward Cornock gave both sides a point.

Although the Clarets were still almost three years away from that epic day in 1914, when Tommy Boyle himself lifted the FA Cup in triumph, the Cup winning side was starting to come together, and also making his Burnley debut on that day 104 years ago was inside forward Teddy Hodgson.

As for the rest of that 1911-12 season, both Burnley and Barnsley kept up with the pace, both finishing in the top six, but missing out on promotion. There was some consolation for Barnsley however, Tommy Boyle’s former club went on to win the FA Cup for the first time.

Team (235: Jerry Dawson, Robert Reid, Tom Bamford, Henry Swift, Tommy Boyle, Billy Watson,
Jonathon Morley, Teddy Hodgson, Bert Freeman, Harry Mountford, Tom Mayson.

Advertisement block