Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Derby 0 Burnley 0

21 September 2015

Derby 0 Burnley 0

Burnley mounted a brave rear-guard action to prise a precious point from a tough clash at Derby.

The Clarets found themselves under increasing pressure from the hosts, still looking for their first home league win of the season.

But they stood firm to extend their unbeaten run against the Rams to 11 games.

Last line of defence Tom Heaton made one great save of note in the second half.

And the only downside for the Clarets was a worrying injury to record signing Andre Gray, who hobbled off on the half hour.

Joey Barton made the bench for the first time, as Sean Dyche named unchanged starting 11 for the fourth successive game.

And it was a bright start by the Clarets, with Andre Gray using his pace to full effect in the early stages and causing flutters in the home ranks.

There was a scare for the visitors when a long Scott Carson punt was left by the Burnley defence and Chris Martin pounced. But as the sole Rams striker looked to round Tom Heaton, the keeper got a vital touch that meant loud penalty appeals fell on deaf ears.

For the Rams, Tom Ince missed out.

And much of the hosts’ threats were directed down the right, where Johnny Russell looked to feed Martin at every opportunity.

There was a blow for the Clarets on the half hour when Gray, who had earlier had treatment, hobbled off to be replaced by Rouwen Hennings.

And with chances at a premium, a half chance fell the Clarets way as half time approached. Tendayi Darikwa instigated a move that, following a quick counter, led to Ben Mee winning a corner.

And when David Jones lobbed the ball into the box, Carson was all at sea until Boyd volleyed over a bouncing ball that wouldn’t drop.

At the other end, a fabulous clearance inside the six-yard box from Darikwa from Cyrus Christie’s driven cross ensured parity at the break.

Early pressure from Derby forced Burnley back again from the re-start, with Richard Keogh coming closest with a mis-directed near post header from a corner.

But for all the pressure, Heaton had still hardly made a save of note.

And 18 minutes from time, Burnley fired a warning shot back across the bows as Sam Vokes picked up the ball midway into the County half and stun Carson’s gloves with a drive from distance.

But the traffic was pretty much all one way and from Derby’s fifth corner, it took a headed goalline clearance under the bar to deny Richard Keogh’s towering header.

Derby surged once more and Heaton was called into action for the first time as he expertly gloved away a fierce 30-yard drive from George Thorne.

Heaton again did well to parry away Russell’s downward header, with Matt Taylor now in the fray for Michael Kightly.

Vokes’ could only fire at Carson as the Clarets again weathered the latest storm.

And when Heaton got down low to turn aside Martin’s low goalbound effort, the point was secured.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Mee, Keane, Duff, Darikwa, Boyd, Arfield, Jones, Kightly (Taylor 81), Gray (Hennings 30), Vokes.
Subs: Gilks, Lowton, Barton, Ward, Long

DERBY: Carson, Christie, Forsyth, Keogh, Shackell, Thorne (Hanson 82), Butterfield (Hendrick 75), Johnson, Martin, Russell, Weimann.
Subs: Grant, Bent, Pearce, Shotton. Warnock

REF: D Whitestone

Att: 26,834 (592)

Advertisement block