Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 3 Sheff Wed 1

12 September 2015

Burnley 3 Sheff Wed 1

The Clarets recorded a third straight win in the league, beating Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 at Turf Moor in Sean Dyche's 50th win as Burnley boss.

David Jones’ classy first half opener was cancelled out by Atdhe Nuhiu, before two goals in the last 11 minutes from Matt Taylor and record signing Andre Gray sealed Burnley’s win.

Taylor celebrates his crucial second goal

Dyche named an unchanged side that beat Bristol City 2-1 a fortnight ago, meaning Gray made his home debut for the club.

And it was the perfect start for the Clarets, who took the lead in the seventh minute.

Jones was fouled just outside the box as he spun his marker and the midfielder dusted himself off before perfectly finding the top corner with the resulting free-kick.

However, after two chances there were two goals as Wednesday hit straight back!

Daniel Pudil’s superb ball into the mix was clinically put away by Nuhiu, the towering striker’s header flew past a helpless Heaton.

A frantic moment in the box almost put the Clarets back in front on the half hour mark. 

Scott Arfield’s shot from the edge of the area was scuffed and fell to Michael Keane, but the Clarets defender and current top scorer couldn’t convert the chance.

And minutes later, despite the Owls looking increasingly threatening on the break, the hosts came even closer.

Michael Kightly broke forward from the centre spot before threading a ball to Gray, but the former Brentford striker saw his strike brilliantly blocked by Owls’ defender Tom Lees.

Gray came even closer five minutes before the break, as a heavy touch took him across the area and his low drive flicked wide off a Wednesday boot.

The resulting corner was dinked short to the front post, where a host of bodies missed the ball and Keane’s acrobatics at the far stick failed to keep the ball under the crossbar. 

After the break Fernando Forestieri continued to be a nuisance, this time his powerful strike whistled over the crossbar from 20-yards.

The forward then went on a mazy run on the hour mark, beating three men before teeing up Nuhiu, only for the Autrian to shoot straight at Heaton.

A minute later Burnley picked up the frantic pace of the game.

Kightly threaded a perfect ball inside the two centre-backs for Gray, but the striker was denied once more, this time by youngster Joe Wildsmith.

George Boyd's deflected effort from a Sam Vokes' knock-down, was then brilliantly saved by debutant Wildsmith as Burnley looked to turn the screw.

But with time running out, Clarets finally grabbed the initiative. Gray surged forward before crossing perfectly to the far post, where Taylor made no mistake by volleying in his second goal of the season.

And Burnley weren’t finished there as, in stoppage time, Gray opened his account for the club.

The tireless striker blocked Liam Palmer's attermpted clearance and showed poise and panache to rifle the ball under Wildsmith and seal the win.

Burnley: Heaton; Darikwa, Duff, Keane, Mee; Boyd, Arfield, Jones, Kightly (Taylor 62); Vokes (Hennings 76), Gray (Long 90).

Subs: Gilks, Ward, Lowton, Anderson.


Goals: Jones 7’, Taylor 78’, Gray 90’

Wednesday: Wildsmith; Palmer, Lees, Loovens, Pudil; Lee, Hutchinson, Wallace (Matias 75), Bannan; Forestieri, Nuhiu.

Subs: Price, Turner, Semedo, Helan, Joao, Lopez

Goals: Nuhiu 20’

Yellow: Bannan 80’ Hutchinson 88’

Attendance: 17,277 (2,417 away)

Advertisement block