Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U21 Report: Burnley 3-1 Barnsley

12 October 2015

The Development Squad are through to the next round of the U21 Premier League Cup after beating Barnsley 3-1 at Turf Moor.

The Clarets fielded a young side and the youngsters did Burnley proud with an assured performance.

Brad Jackson opened the scoring for the Clarets, before Luke Hendrie gave the hosts a two-goal lead going into the interval.

Ntumba Massanka extended his prolific form with a goal midway into the second half, before a wonder goal from Callum Chippendale completed the scoring.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the game eight minutes in. Brad Abbott was on the end of a defensive clearance, before the midfielder’s strike was well saved by Daniel Nizic, who parried out for a corner.

After a quiet spell in the game, midway through the half the Clarets had their first effort of note. Back from an injury, winger Josh Ginnelly crossed in a fizzing ball from the right but the cross found Jamie Frost in the box and the striker’s header was straight at goalkeeper Jack Walton.

Four minutes later Walton was called into action again and pulled off a fine save to deny the opener, tipping wide a superb dipping strike from Steven Hewitt from the edge of the box.

But the Clarets broke the deadlock 10 minutes before the break. In-form striker Ntumba Massanka did wonderfully down the right flank before producing a deep ball to the far post.

The cross was met by Brad Jackson and the winger coolly nodded it back from where it came and into the bottom right corner.

Then just five minutes later the lead was doubled. Ginnelly’s deep corner to Tom Anderson was headed back across goal to Massanka, who held up well before teeing up Hendrie and the defender made no mistake, slotting home from 12-yards.

After the restart the visitors almost found a way back into the game, but a wonderful point-blank stop from Nizic denied Jack Alton from close range.

Just after the hour mark the Clarets almost made it three – Massanka was once again heavily in the action and he found Jackson with a dinked ball, his first-time cross to Jamie Frost at the far post was volleyed just over.

A minute later though, Michael Jolley’s men all but secured progress into the next round with a third as Massanka was rewarded with a goal.

Jackson turned provider to feed the former Manchester United youngster who expertly found the bottom left corner with aplomb.

With five minutes to play Barnsley grabbed themselves a consolation via a wonder strike. Callum Chippendale went for goal with a bending effort from all of 25-yards, nestling into the top right corner.

Burnley: Nizic; Birch, Anderson, Whitmore, Hendrie; Ginnelly (Smith 62), Hewitt (Wilson 62), O’Neill, Jackson; Frost, Massanka (Metz 70)

Subs: Aghayere, Hobson

Goals: Jackson 35’ Hendrie 41’ Massanka 66’

Barnsley: Walton; Ottley, Scott, Gooda (Hanna 82), Dawson; Alton (Reilly 72), Wardle (Smith 55), Abbott, Saeed; Jacobs, Chippendale

Subs: Landhu, Murphy

Attendance: 360

Advertisement block