Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Nottingham Forest 1-1 Burnley

20 October 2015

Nottingham Forest 1-1 Burnley

Matthew Taylor’s stunning 90th minute strike rescued a precious point at The City Ground against 10-man Nottingham Forest.

The game looked to be slipping away from the Clarets after Eric Lichaj’s second-half strike gave the hosts the lead on 73 minutes.

But after Forest were reduced to 10-men, after midfielder Henri Lansbury was given his marching orders for a late challenge on Ben Mee, Taylor’s thunderbolt saw Burnley earn a share of the spoils.

Taylor was making his first league start of the season, replacing George Boyd, who in turn missed his first game for the club with an ankle injury.

And in an opening half the visitors dominated, the Clarets thought they had taken the lead after just 10 minutes.

Joey Barton’s strike from 25-yards took a wicked deflection that sent Dorus De Vries the wrong way and struck the base of the post.

The ball bounced out to Andre Gray, who found the back of the net, only for the linesman to flag the Clarets top scorer offside.

Forest midfielder Lansbury went for goal six minutes later from 25-yards, but saw his effort deflect for a corner off Michael Keane.

Another golden chance for the Clarets came when Taylor’s deep cross found Scott Arfield at the far post, but the Scotsman volleyed agonisingly wide, to the hosts' relief.

And midway through the first-half the visitors were once again denied a deserved opener.

This time Taylor’s free-kick from 30-yards fizzed off the surface to test former Swansea City goalkeeper De Vries, who got down well to tip it wide.

The hosts picked up the pace after the break, with a Jamie Ward cross to the far post finding Ryan Mendes, whose shot from a tight angle could only find the side netting.

And midway through the second half Mendes was in the action once more. His surging run down the left ended with him finding Oliveira, and the Portuguese forward's 25-yard strike whistled past Tom Heaton’s far post.

Heaton was then called into action, producing a stunning reaction save from Mendes’ point-blank volley.

But after Forest kept the ball alive, Heaton could do nothing when Lichaj’s wonder strike from the right side of the area flew past Burnley’s stopper to put the hosts ahead.

Just two minutes later though Forest were reduced to 10 men!

Ben Mee won an initial challenge with a sliding tackle midway into the Forest half, before recoiling following a late Lansbury lunge.

The referee, on the spot, instantly issued the former Arsenal midfielder a red card and that gave the Clarets additional incentive to grab a late equaliser.

And as Burnley pressed, Gray was whiskers away from a dramatic equaliser with his final touch of the game.

Taylor's threaded pass found the striker's feet and Gray curled his angled effort just wide of the far post.

However, with the clock running down, the Clarets were finally rewarded with a 90th minute equaliser!

Michael Keane bombed forward before finding sub Rouwen Hennings in a central position. The German laid the ball forward to Sam Vokes, who in-turn teed up Taylor for the former West Ham winger to rocket a strike into the top right corner from 20-yards and salvage a valuable point.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Mee, Duff, Keane, Darikwa (Lowton 84), Afrield, Jones (Kightly 84), Barton, Taylor, Vokes, Gray (Hennings 87).
SUBS: Gilks,, Ulvestad, Ward, C Long

Yellow: Keane 39’, Mee 86’

Goal: Taylor 90’

FOREST: De Vries, Lichaj, Wilson, Lansbury, Mendes (O’Grady 80), Oliviera (Grant 77), Ward, Vaughan, Hobbs, Pinillos, Walker (Blackstock 69).
Subs: Fox, Williams, Evtimov, Burke

Yellow: Oliveira 26’
Red: Lansbury 75’

Goal: Lichaj 73’

Ref: S Atwell

Attendance: 17,721 (862 away)

Advertisement block