Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Blackburn 0 Burnley 1

24 October 2015

Blackburn 0 Burnley 1

SCOTT Arfield picked the perfect moment to score his first goal of the season and settle the derby day spoils.

The Clarets wide man found the top corner in the 62nd minute with a wonderful strike to seal a second successive win at Ewood Park.

And just how much it meant to the Scot was evident as he sparked joyous scenes, racing 80 yards to celebrate his matchwinner with over 4,500 travelling Clarets fans.

Jordan Rhodes had earlier spurned three chances to put Rovers ahead, and Tom Lawrence wasted the best chance of the game early in the second half with the game still scoreless.

Sean Dyche, the first Burnley manager to take charge of four derbies since the legendary Harry Potts, made one change, with George Boyd recovering from his rolled ankle to replace Matt Taylor, who dropped to the bench.

And in a rip-roaring atmosphere it was an assured start by the Clarets, who wasted a first minute free kick earned by Grant Hanley barging over Andre Gray on the right.

Rhodes had Rovers’ first effort in the 10th minute, clipping Marcus Olsson’s left wing cross on to the roof of the net with a neat first touch.

There was as a strong appeal for a penalty for the Clarets in the 25th minute when Joey Barton drove into the area and was clipped by Hanley as he spun onto Gray’s threaded pass.

However, referee Keith Stroud waved away vociferous claims by the visitors.

Now Burnley had settled into the game though, and a sustained spell of possession followed, albeit with no clear-cut chance to show for it.

And as Rovers countered just after the half hour mark, it needed a fine sprawling save from Tom Heaton to hold onto Lawrence’s low drive from distance.

Suddenly, the derby came to the boil, and Arfield raced onto Barton’s pass to force Jason Steele to claw away his side-footed effort from the edge of the box.

Six minutes from half time it was Rovers’ turn to claim a penalty when Lawrence tumbled under Barton’s challenge.  Again, though, Stroud was unimpressed.

And as Rovers ended an even half on top, Rhodes headed Conway’s teasing cross inches wide, before blazing over from just outside the area.

The hosts started the second half as they ended the first, and blew a glorious chance to go ahead in the 55th minute.

Sloppy play from Burnley allowed Lawrence to drive from midfield and following a one-two with Rhodes, the midfielder blazed over in the clear with the goal at his mercy.

Moments later, following Marshall’s driving run, Corry Evans let fly from distance with a daisy-cutter that curled just side of Heaton’s right hand post with the keeper scrambling.

And with Rovers now posing a real threat, Rhodes fired weakly straight at Heaton after all his own work created the opening.

But in the 63rd minute, Burnley hit back with a quite wonderful opener.

Ben Mee mis-kicked as the ball dropped to him favourably in the box, but instead he teed-up Arfield on the edge of the area for a magnificent right-foot curler into the top corner.

The Scot duly ran the length of Ewood Park with his team mates in his wake, celebrating the first goal conceded by the hosts at home in 509 minutes with 4,723 delirious travelling fans.

Stunned Rovers were the width of a post from hitting back seven minutes from time when Conway cut in from the right and rattled the angle of bar and post with a screamer.

And when Heaton turned over Shane Duffy’s header in the dying seconds, another memorable Ewood victory was assured.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Mee, Duff, Keane, Darikwa, Arfield, Barton, Jones, Boyd, Vokes, Gray (C Long 85).
Subs: Gilks, Lowton, Kightly, M Taylor, Hennings, Ward

BLACKBURN: Steele, Hanley, Delfouneso (C Taylor 79) Marshall, Rhodes, Olsson, Lawrence, Akpan, Duffy, Evans, Corry.
Subs: Henley, Spurr, Kilgallon, Williamson, O'Sullivan, Raya

Ref: K Stroud

Att: 19,897 (4,723)

Advertisement block