Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 0-0 Stoke City

16 May 2015

Burnley 0-0 Stoke City

The Clarets ended their final Premier League game at Turf Moor this season with a 0-0 draw against a Stoke City side who are on track for their best ever Premier League campaign.

Both sides headed into the game knowing that a win would beat their previous record of points in a season in the Premier League

Sean Dyche named an unchanged Burnley side for the third successive game.

Just two minutes into the game and Burnley were on the ascendancy. Danny Ings went on a solo run from the left flank, before cutting in, beating Stoke defenders in the process, before firing a tame strike at Jack Butland.

Somehow the game remained level on the quarter hour mark. A deep ball from Ben Mee to the far post was headed back across goal by George Boyd. Ings, who was in space on the penalty spot, again made Butland work, before Ashley Barne’s rebound was cleared off the line.

Burnley continued to press minutes later, but again Stoke were thankful to Butland. Boyd produced a Cruyff turn before chipping to the far stick, Mee’s header fell perfectly to David Jones, whose volley was somehow parried away by the England international.

Butland was soon becoming Ings’ artch nemesis, with the forward being denied midway through the first half yet again. Barnes bullied his counterpart, winning back the ball before squaring to Ings. The England U21 international aimed for the bottom corner from 20-yards, but Butland was down well.

After a first half hour of constant Burnley pressure, Stoke out of nowhere almost took the lead. A free-kick from the left from Charlie Adam was dangerous and the on-running Walters headed straight at Tom Heaton who was aware.

Five minutes before the break and with Burnley still pressing, Stoke countered and should have taken the lead. Walters broke forward and ran 60-yards before producing a wonderful delivery to Diouf, who was free at the far post. The Senegalese international couldn’t steer his diving header goal bound and Burnley regrouped.

A minute after almost setting up a goal, Walters’s long range shot whistled just wide of Heaton’s right post, after initially picking up a loose ball in midfield.

After the restart Burnley continued their constant pressure and were inches away from being rewarded the opener. Kieran Trippier’s chip over the back four was exquisitely brought down by Barnes, before rifling a cross along the goal-line, but nobody was on the end to tap home.

For the majority of the game, Heaton was a bystander, but he was called upon just before the hour mark. Michael Duff couldn’t clear the initial cross, which landed perfectly for Diouf, but Heaton bravely pulled off a wonderful reaction save, tipping wide.

The resulting corner petered out, as did the next 25 minutes, with just Diouf’s deflected header being the only chance of note, meaning Turf Moor’s final game in the Premier League this season finished in a thoroughly well deserved draw.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Trippier, Shackell, Duff, Mee, Jones (Ulvestad 88), Arfield, Taylor (Kightly 65), Boyd, Ings, Barnes (Vokes 83)

Subs: Gilks, Keane, Jutkiewicz, Ward

Booked: Boyd 42

STOKE: Butland, Pieters, Muniesa, Whelan, Arnautovic (Crouch 69),  N’Zonzi, Adam (Sidwell 83), Shawcross, Diouf, Walters (Odemwingie 59), Cameron.

Subs: Begovic, Ireland, Wilson, Wollscheid

Booked: Diouf 24, N’Zonzi 49

REF: M Oliver

Attendance: 18,636 (away: 2,368)


Advertisement block