Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Liverpool 2-0 Burnley

4 March 2015

Liverpool 2-0 Burnley

Burnley found in-form Liverpool too hot to handle as the Reds eased to victory at Anfield. Stand-in captain Jordan Henderson sent the Reds into the lead with an unstoppable strike just before the half-hour mark.

Daniel Sturridge then doubled Liverpool’s advantage with a precise header past Clarets goalkeeper Tom Heaton, who made a string of fine saves, shortly after the break.

The defeat leaves Burnley in the Premier League’s bottom three, with ten rounds of fixtures left to be played before the end of the season.

Sean Dyche named the same starting line-up for the fourth consecutive game.

Meanwhile, Sturridge was preferred to Lazar Marković in Liverpool’s only change to the side that beat champions Manchester City last weekend.

Heaton was forced to a quality save down to his left when a sharp combination between Raheem Sterling, Adam Lallana and Sturridge led to the striker finding some space inside the box and unleashing a dangerous effort after just 26 seconds.

Martin Škrtel then couldn’t keep his header down following a corner in a fast-paced start by the Reds.

But despite Liverpool enjoying the majority of possession, Burnley soon settled into the match by keeping a solid, defensive shape and beginning to mount pressure on the opposition defence themselves.

However, Heaton had to produce another stop, this time to push aside Henderson’s low effort from outside the penalty area on 24 minutes.

Five minutes later, the Burnley goalkeeper could do nothing to deny the Liverpool midfielder the opening goal of the game, though.

After an initial effort from Philippe Coutinho was blocked by Jason Shackell, the ball dropped to Henderson who unleashed a first-time, unstoppable strike from just outside the box to send the Reds into the lead.

And Coutinho could have added a second soon after when his superb effort from similar distance missed the target only by a whisker.

Liverpool now seemed to have found their passing rhythm and when Coutinho sent Sturridge through on goal just before the break, Heaton did superbly to deny the England international with his feet.

There was no stopping Sturridge shortly after the restart, however.

Henderson’s ball over the top to the far post was inch-perfect and Sturridge calmly guided his header low into the corner and beyond the reach of Heaton to double Liverpool’s advantage.

Burnley never stopped going, though.

Moments after Danny Ings saw his penalty appeal waved away by the referee, strike partner Ashley Barnes sent a low effort that whistled just the wrong side of the post.

Barnes was then replaced by Sam Vokes midway through the second half, as the Clarets looked for a way back into the contest.

But, after a less convincing spell, the Reds seemed to regain control of proceedings, without seriously testing Heaton in the game’s closing stages.

Burnley were never completely out of the encounter against a Liverpool side that confirmed their outstanding, recent form.

Burnley: Heaton; Trippier, Keane, Shackell, Mee; Boyd, Arfield, Jones, Kightly (Wallace 52); Ings, Barnes (Vokes 66).
Subs not used: Gilks, Duff, Ward, Reid, Jutkiewicz.

Liverpool: Mignolet; Can, Škrtel, Lovren; Sterling (Lambert 90), Henderson, Allen, Moreno (Touré 73); Lallana, Coutinho; Sturridge (Johnson 83).
Subs not used: Ward, Williams, Marković, Balotelli.

Goals: Henderson 29, Sturridge 51
Bookings: Mee
Referee: Lee Mason
Attendance: 44,717

Advertisement block