Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 1-0 Manchester City

14 March 2015

Burnley 1-0 Manchester City

Burnley recorded a famous victory after a stunner from George Boyd gave them all three points against champions Manchester City at a rocking Turf Moor.

The Scot produced an emphatic, first-time strike just past the hour mark when the ball dropped into his path just outside the box.

And despite several opportunities, Manchester City couldn’t prevent well-organised Clarets from their fifth win and sixth clean sheet of the season.

The victory - the second time in the Premier League era they have defeated the reigning champions at Turf Moor, following that unforgettable night in August 2009 - also leaves Sean Dyche’s men just a single point away from the 17th place in the league table.

Sam Vokes made his first Premier League start for Burnley as he replaced Michael Kightly, in one of two changes to the team that fell to a 2-0 away defeat against Liverpool.

Ashley Barnes was handed the left midfield slot while Michael Duff, making his 350th club appearance in the week he was granted a testimonial, was preferred to Michael Keane at centre back.

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini included captain Vincent Kompany in his starting line-up.

Burnley needed less than two minutes to register their first effort on goal.

Danny Ings worked out space for himself with a clever piece of skill before opting for an audacious, long-range strike on his weaker foot. He didn’t miss the target by much.

And the Clarets continued to threaten when Ben Mee sent a far-post header just over the crossbar following a corner on 11 minutes.

The visitors attacked predominantly down their right-hand side where Jesús Navas linked up with Pablo Zabaleta, but without creating any notable danger in the opening quarter of the game.

At the other end, Kieran Trippier whipped in a quality ball into the box that Vokes couldn’t quite direct on target.

On 25 minutes, Edin Džeko sent a tame effort wide of the post as City still couldn’t test Tom Heaton in the Burnley goal.

However, they finally managed not one but two attempts on target on the half-hour mark.

Fernandinho slipped Džeko through into the penalty area, but Heaton first dealt with his shot from a tight angle before holding comfortably to a follow-up from Sergio Agüero.

In response, Scott Arfield forced a save from Joe Hart after the ball dropped to the Scot just outside the box.

The visitors now looked to up the tempo though, with the Clarets defending resolutely and putting their bodies on the line.

On 34 minutes, David Silva and Džeko combined superbly on the edge of the penalty area only for skipper Jason Shackell to produce a last-ditch challenge and keep the score goalless at half-time.

Shortly after the restart, the visitors created another opening.

This time it was Agüero who slipped Silva through on goal, but the Spaniard’s first touch was heavy enabling Heaton to make another save at two attempts.

Moments later, Zabaleta escaped down the right and pulled the ball back to Agüero who could only turn it wide of the post.

And the game was becoming an end-to-end contest when Boyd tried his luck with an audacious volley – on his right foot – which scrambling Hart was relieved to see miss the target by a whisker.

Not next time though!

On 61 minutes, Trippier sent an out-swinging free-kick into the City box which Kompany headed away from danger.

However, the ball dropped into the path of Boyd who – this time on his left foot – didn’t hesitate for a split second and struck the ball sweetly right into the far corner of the net beyond the reach of Hart.

It was the Scot’s fifth of the season and second in as many matches against the champions - and Turf Moor erupted.

The visitors now needed to look for a way back into the contest, but Agüero could only head Yaya Touré’s cross into the penalty area harmlessly over the crossbar with 20 minutes left on the clock.

Agüero then found substitute Wilfried Bony on the edge of the box and the former Swansea striker managed to fashion a yard of space for himself, but saw his tame effort again comfortably held by Heaton.

And Agüero must have started thinking it simply wasn’t his day when he failed to keep another header on target on 80 minutes.

Another substitute Stevan Jovetić then sent an effort over the crossbar, as the Clarets looked to held onto a victory.

In stoppage time, Zabaleta was booked for simulation inside the box with the Citizens simply unable to unlock Burnley’s brave defence.

And the Clarets did see the game out in what was their best result of the campaign amidst jubilation among the Turf Moor faithful.

Burnley: Heaton; Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee; Boyd, Arfield, Jones, Barnes; Ings (Reid 90+3), Vokes (Ward 86).

Subs not used: Gilks, Keane, Wallace, Kightly, Jutkiewicz.

Man City: Hart; Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichelis, Clichy; Navas, Fernandinho, Touré (Lampard 81), Silva (Jovetić 73); Aguëro, Džeko (Bony 63).

Subs not used: Caballero, Mangala, Sagna, Nasri.

Goals: Boyd 61

Bookings: Mee, Duff – Demichelis, Zabaleta

Referee: Andre Marriner

Att: 21,216 (4,078)

Attendance: 21,216 (4,078)

Advertisement block