Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: St Mirren 0-3 Burnley

22 July 2015

The Clarets stepped up their pre-season fitness with another victory, this time a 3-0 win against St. Mirren.

Two first half goals from Luke O’Neill set up the win and a third by Matt Taylor, soon after the restart, sealed an impressive win to end the mini Scotland tour with two wins.

Everyone in the squad who didn’t start at Ibrox on Tuesday night got themselves vital minutes ahead of Saturday’s next warm-up fixture at Chesterfield.

Sean Dyche named a side made up of experience and youth, with six members of the Development Squad starting.

Alex Cisak made his first appearance of pre-season, behind a back four of Cameron Dummigan, Tom Anderson, Michael Keane and Stephen Ward.

After playing at centre half at Accrington Stanley, O’Neill played the game at right wing, alongside Steven Hewitt, Matt Taylor and Brad Jackson.

Nathan Lowe played off Jason Gilchrist, who was a loan striker. However, Gilchrist was stretchered off after falling awkwardly after just 14 minutes, making way for defender Alex Whitmore, who slotted in at left  back with Ward pushing into midfield.

The Clarets took just nine minutes to take the lead through the versatile O’Neill.

Brad Jackson’s back heel set up Stephen Ward, who crossed to the far post for the makeshift winger to find the net with a perfect header.

Halfway through the first half the hosts had their first effort of the game. Fullback Sean Rooney cut inside before bending in a testing strike, but Cisak saved well high to his left.

And five minutes later the Clarets, and O’Neill grabbed their second. Nathan Lowe started the attack with a diagonal cross field ball finding Alex Whitmore on the wing. Whitmore played a one-two with Jackson before squaring to Ward, who saw his initial strike blocked.

The block popped up for O’Neill and the winger found the bottom corner with a swivelled volley.

Moments later Burnley almost got their third. Lowe picked up a loose ball before striking from 30-yards; an effort that forced Dan Wilks to tip over.

Just before the break St. Mirren almost fired themselves back in the game. Malachy Moore’s 20-yard shot looked to be untesting, but a wicked deflection looped the strike over the sprawling Cisak and the crossbar came to the Clarets rescue.

And straight from the restart the visitors continued on the front foot. After coming close with two efforts from Steven Hewitt and then Jackson, the Clarets scored their third.

Taylor surged forward before playing a neat one-two with Jackson and finding  the bottom corner with a first time finish.

After enjoying the majority of possession, the Clarets came close to their fourth with 10 minutes remaining. Frederik Ulvestad went on a solo run into the box, setting up Lowe, whose strike cannoned out off the crossbar.

And youngster Jackson almost capped off a solid first start for the Clarets with a goal. Another solo run into the box along with a few tricks caused mayhem in the Saints’ box, before the winger looped his shot just over.

Burnley: Cisak; Dummigan (Whitmore 14), Keane, Anderson, Ward (Ulvestad 73); O'Neill, Hewitt, Taylor (Lafferty 73), Jackson; Lowe, Gilchrist
Subs: Duff, Jones, Mee, Boyd, Kightly, Jutkiewicz, Arfield

St Mirren: Wilks, Rooney, Conlan, Baird, Goodwin, Howieson, Amegnaglo, Lasaosa, Gow, Moore, Blasi
Subs: Ridgers, Samuels, Noila, Ayoola, Nahoonoy, Mallan, Mclear, Morgan, Cuddihy, Barrowman

Referee: Craig King

Advertisement block