Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rangers 0-1 Burnley

21 July 2015

The Clarets ran out 1-0 winners against Scottish giants Glasgow Rangers in a tight affair at Ibrox Stadium.

Scott Arfield, who is no stranger to the Scottish League, returned to his homeland to score the only goal of the match with his fine solo effort late in the first half.

Sean Dyche named a starting eleven that featured for the opening hour, with five Development Squad players making an appearance in the absence of three injured strikers.

The Clarets were thankful to Matt Gilks in the opening half hour as the Clarets keeper constantly repelled the hosts’ efforts to give new boss Mark Warburton the perfect welcome.

Rangers were soon on the attack and four minutes in the hosts were whiskers away from the opener when Martyn Waghorn turned on the edge of the ‘D’ and found David Templeton on the left, who composed himself before drilling across goal.

Three minutes later Gilks was called into action for the first time. Barrie Mckay’s cross-cum-shot was deflected towards goal by Ben Mee, but the Scottish international was down brilliantly to save low to his left.


With the Clarets still looking for their first chance of the game, Rangers again came close halfway through the first half.

James Tavernier and Waghorn both joined from Wigan on Monday and the pair linked up when the right back crossed deep to Waghorn, whose header glanced wide.

A stunning reaction save from Gilks then somehow kept the scoreline level on the half hour mark.

Waghorn was again the man causing the trouble with a shot low to the keeper’s left, that he incredibly kept out with an instinctive parry.

And soon after, the Clarets first chance of the game resulted in the only goal of the night.

Arfield latched onto a long ball from the back; nutmegging Lee Wallace before finding the bottom left corner with a composed finish that clinically beat Wes Foderingham.

And five minutes before the break the visitors almost doubled their advantage. Lukas Jutkiewicz’s acrobatic volley flew inches over the crossbar, inches away from what would have been a stunning goal.

After the restart the Clarets enjoyed the lion’s share of possession, passing freely and creating half decent chances.

Michael Kightly had two tame efforts within the space of five minutes, the first firing well wide with the second failing to test Foderingham.

The Clarets made four changes just after the hour mark, defenders Cameron Dummigan, Stephen Ward and Michael Keane, along with midfielder Matty Taylor, replaced Matt Lowton, Fredrik Ulvestad, Michael Duff and Daniel Lafferty.

And Brad Jackson then made his senior debut, replacing Kightly with just over 10 minutes to play, before Steven Hewitt and Jason Gilchrist also made late appearances.

As Rangers pressed for an equaliser in the last quarter, a slick move ended in a strike from Tom Walsh that flew harmlessly over, before Burnley came close to killing the game off.

Jackson and Ward linked up nicely down the left flank three minutes from time, before the full back smashed a strike just wide.
Burnley: Gilks; Lowton (Dummigan 64), Duff (Keane 64), Mee (Anderson 85), Lafferty (Ward 64); Boyd (Gilchrist 85), Arfield, Jones (Hewitt 85), Kightly (Jackson 78), Ulvestad (Taylor 64); Jutkiewicz
Subs: Cisak, O'Neill, Whitmore

Rangers: Foderingham, Tavernier, Kiernan, Wilson, Wallace; Halliday, Law, Holt, Mckay; Templeton, Waghorn
Subs: Kelly, Zaliukas, McGregor, Walsh, Aird, Shiels, Clark, Miller, Thompson, Hardie

Attendance: 22,344

Advertisement block