Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Accrington Stanley 4-2 Burnley

18 July 2015

Jelle Vossen scored in a 4-2 defeat to Accrington Stanley in a thrilling affair at the Store First Stadium.

The Belgian international scored his first goal in a claret shirt after the Clarets found themselves three goals down after just 10 minutes.

Lukas Jutkiewicz scored the Clarets other goal before a late Stanley strike sealed the defeat.

In a whirlwind start, the hosts took the lead just 90 seconds into the game. Seamus Conneely unleashed a wonderful strike from 30-yards that whistled into Matt Gilks’ bottom left corner.

And with just six minutes on the clock Stanley found themselves two goals to the good, as Matt Crook was played in-on goal and delicately looped the ball over the out-rushing Gilks.

The Clarets almost had an instant reply. Matt Taylor bombed down the left wing before squaring into the mixer, where Lukas Jutkiewicz’s first-time strike was well saved by the 6ft 9” stopper Jason Mooney.

However, Stanley countered and capped a crazy opening 10 minutes with their third goal!

Gilks, who was helpless with the two opening goals, pulled off a fine point-blank parry, but it fell straight to Sean McConville, who had a simple tap-in.

Burnley’s latest signing Vossen almost opened his Burnley account as Burnley finally shook off their cobwebs and settled into the game. The Belgian had the ball in the back of the net with a simple tap-in, but the referee had already blown for a Reds’ free kick.

However, on the half an hour mark the Clarets finally got on target. Jutkiewicz went on a weaving solo run before being fouled in the box and the striker dusted himself down before smashing the resulting penalty in off the underside of the crossbar.

Five minutes later the difference was down to one, as Vossen coolly got himself on the scoresheet.

Matt Lowton’s deep cross was kept in play by Steven Hewitt, who cut back. Taylor’s initial strike was flicked on by Jutkiewicz and cleared off the line, but straight to Vossen, who slotted home from 10 yards.

And the first half comeback was almost complete on the stroke of half time. Lowton yet again produced an exquisite ball to the far post, but Jutkiewicz’s first-time volley couldn’t beat the Football League’s tallest player.

The Clarets made nine changes at half time with just Gilks and Ulvestad being the two unchanged.

The second half started somewhat slower than the first, with the first chance falling on the hour mark. Stanley's Billy Kee had two golden chances to extend the hosts' lead with the first creeping just wide before his second attempt was well held by Gilks from close range.

The Clarets had a number of half chances throughout the second half but none worried Mooney or then substitute Ross Etheridge in goal.

And with just five minutes to play Stanley killed the game off with their fourth. Crooks helped himself to his second of the game latching onto a loose ball before hammering past Gilks, with it taking a small deflection.

Burnley 1st Half: Gilks; Lowton, O'Neill, Anderson, Ward; Hewitt, Ulvestad, Jones, Taylor; Vossen, Jutkiewicz
Subs: Jackson, Gilchrist, Whitmore, Lowe, Dummigan

Burnley 2nd Half: Gilks; Dummigan, Duff, Mee, Lafferty; Boyd, Arfield, Ulvestad (Lowe 65), Kightly; Sordell, Vokes
Subs: Jackson, Gilchrist, Whitmore, Hewitt

Accrington Stanley: Mooney; Winnard, Pearson, Davies, Wright, Crooks, Mingoia, Windass, Gornell, Conneely, McGonville
Subs: Etheridge, Cummins, Buxton, Carver, Steenson, McCartan, Goulding, Clarke, Hazeldine, St Juste, Morgan, Kee

Attendance: 2,100

Advertisement block