Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Brian Hall 1946 - 2015

17 July 2015

Burnley Football Club is saddened to learn of the death of former midfielder Brian Hall at the age of 68.

Brian was born in Glasgow in 1946 and joined Burnley at the age of 31, after a hugely successful spell at Liverpool.

Things were looking pretty desperate at Turf Moor at the start of season 1977/78. With only one win and five points from the first fourteen Second Division games, new blood was clearly required.

Manager Harry Potts found the solution in the return of prodigal son Steve Kindon and the signing of the vastly experienced Brian Hall, and their arrival provided the kick-start that was so badly needed.

Hall had really made his name during his time at Anfield. He was a late arrival in senior football, having gained a BSc at Manchester University after trials with three Lancashire clubs had failed to secure him a contact, and he was already in his mid-twenties by the time he became established as a first-teamer at Anfield in 1970.

Under Bill Shankly and then Bob Paisley, Liverpool were embarking on two decades of dominance in English football, and Hall certainly played his part in their successes of the early 1970s as a cultured midfielder.

He gained some publicity along with teammate and fellow-graduate Steve Heighway as “Brains of football” when the two first emerged into the Liverpool side.

Busy, energetic and a tireless worker, Brian won a First Division Championship medal in 1973 and again in 1976, also collecting an FA Cup winners medal in 1974. He also played his part in the Reds’ EUFA Cup triumph of 1973.

He was sold to Second Division Plymouth for £35,000 in the summer of 1976, but just over a year later £25,000 brought him to Burnley.

While returning Claret Kindon understandably made the bigger impact, Hall made his mark, particularly in 1978/79 when he played in over half of the Clarets’ League games and featured in the run that ended with the winning of the Anglo-Scottish Cup.

Altogether Brian made a total of 51 appearances for the Clarets, scoring three goals, including the winner in a 2-1 victory at Ewood Park on Easter Saturday 1979.

After losing his place however, he was released in May 1980, marking the end of his League career.

He later made good use of his degree by becoming a teacher, and returned to Liverpool in 1991 as Football in the Community officer.

All of us at Burnley Football Club extend our sympathies to Brian’s family and friends at this very sad time.


Advertisement block